How do you isolate power cables from audio cables?

mano 1

Founder
Staff member
One thing that I keep reading over and over is "Keep your audio cables away from power wires and transformers" and also "Keep transformers and power distribution panels away form your audio equipments"

Well, I'd love to do all that, but how do you deal with these facts?

1. Audio and power cables are right next to eachother in the back of devices, and when you have 6 audio cables falling from there, the power cable can't help it to get tangled and mixed with them

2. Power cables that come with racks are SHORT as hell... Should I get new "long" ones? And what about Transformers, how would you make those longer to move them away?

Do "shielded" audio cables really help?

Advices? Tips? GO GO GO :)
Please do mention model names (cables, etc).

Thanks!

It is almost impossible to keep audio and power cables apart... as you have said, on the kit the audio and power conections are quite close anyway. What you should avoid is running the audio and power cables parallel and directly next to (if the cables are more than a foot apart then parallel is OK) each other because the alternating current in the power cable will induce signals in the audio cables. Crossing the cables isn't quite so bad. I have plenty of cables at the back of my gear (30 plus audio and 10 power) and I do not get any unwanted noise other than what each item of kit generates internally. I don't use balanced or sheilded audio cable either.

Back