Thread: How do I Turn a car garage into a home studio?

My Souls is in Philly,My Physical is in the Carolinas
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Whats Up All? Me and the misse are about to move into a house, and she has already designated the garage as the part of the house for my growing pre-production studio. Before everything was in extra room.but where are expecting a baby so all the rooms in the house are going to be used.My question is how do I turn it into a solid (well insulated)recording enviroment? So far here is my idea of what I might need; Some wallpaper 4 the walls,2 humidfier(2 eliminate dry air/humidity), lay thin layer of carpet covering all of the concrete garage floor,I'm thinking about using 3 panel of auralex (www.auralex.com)acoustics max-wall place in front of the garage door and some bass traps on the walls!! But I dont know how many studiofoams bass traps I'm going to need!! Also it needs to be well insulated(As far as heat vs cold temperature changes), becuase this area will also serve as our home office area(which is also the misses idea). But I don't know anything about insulation!! I'm a musician not a DAMN Carpeter/Contractor!! Plus i'm on a very skin tight budget!!Also where do I place everything?here is what I'm working with ; a workstation thats houses my main computer,my monitors,my midi controller,my effects and sound modules,my mackie 1402 mixer,my digital mixer,a 3 tier keyboard rack,2 tier keyboard rack,an skg rack which not sits on the side of my workstation with my dat machine,cd player,recivers,amp,and tape machine inside it. I also have another set of speaker that I would like tohook up(But where?).Should I place my workstation in front of the garage door in work around that?Could someone please help a fellow brother out?
    Last edited by diversifiedbeat; 08-12-2001 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    dont put stuff in front of the garage door you be comin home drunk one night and plow right through that shit...i live in a garage i also have my studio down here but its not all profressional or anything i just have 2 tables lined up with all my stuff on it and cords flying all over the place....ohh and if it rains real hard water might come through the garage door...so i'd stay away from it

Thanks
    What I would do is go ahead and sell all your gear because you're not going to have time to even LOOK at it with a baby around.

Thanks
    A nice start would be to start spinning some Speed Garage and then switch over to some House :eek:

My Souls is in Philly,My Physical is in the Carolinas
    Thanks
    Originally posted by sonic::bionic
    What I would do is go ahead and sell all your gear because you're not going to have time to even LOOK at it with a baby around.
    Why not just sell this Misses and the Baby? No!! I just joking, I could never do that(And Thats 4 real). Money for the baby is all taking care of , so I'm not stress that.But I wouldn't get rid of my adopted children(My Musical equipment) anyway. Too much blood,sweat and tears went into acquired it all.So Seriously how do I get started? Diversifiedbeats

Thanks
    The trick, according to Scott Kirkland of The Crystal Method (look in Better Living Through Circutry) is to use two different thicknesses of sheetrock. I've never tried it, but hey. Basically you want to elimate sound coming from there, so good insulation, and you might consider trying some of the acoustic tile. Once you put that in tho, you will effectively have a dead room.

Also check out the fiberglass fishbowls if you want to do amp or drum recording. they can help isloate the gear from the computer noise and also keep the volume down.

Thanks
    guess the first major step is to take your car out.
    sorry man, couldnt resist.
    good luck anyways (with both your plans)

Thread Information