How do I hook this up?

DJ_Kalm-plex

Hey everyone. I have a mpc2000XL with 8 outs, a proteus 2000 with the standard 6 outs, a mackie 1402VLZ mixer. I was just wondering how can I hook up everything. Do I need a patchbay. I don't have enough inputs on the mixer for everything. Could someone give me any susggestions? Thanks in advance.

Kalmplex

well generally I only use a few outputs per device, it depends which device... For example I generally only use 1 out from my Virus B, and a couple from my XV3080 .. because I mainly play in realtime, controlling 1 part at a time, and tracking (recording as audio) in realtime as well. If I ever have MIDI tracks, I generally delete them quickly and just use them temporarily if I really need to quantize a drum part or something like that..

Funny thing is that I could plug it all, since my I/O box (like a mixer but just the inputs part) has 16 ins and 16 outs.... BUT I dont use them. I keep it as simple and compact as possible.

It depends how mych (or how early) you do tracking (recording each part as audio tracks) versus "realtime" MIDI triggering when you work...

Even with a patch-bay, you will have the same number of inputs - what the patch bay will allow you to do is "quickly" shift which of your instrument's outputs are routed to the Mackie's inputs, or maybe merge the "extra" cables from the instruments to an existing channel

Do you have a DAW as well (computer or standalone machine with audio recording capabilities, etc), or do you keep everything as MIDI, in the MPC?

I would just pick a number of outputs you use the most, and plug those to the mackie.

Good luck!
Take care

-mano

Back