how do i get drums more distant, without too much reverb?

MPA

Need to know how to get drums more on the background(more distant), without lowering the volume levels, or using filtering.
I could do it with reverb, but when there's more efx level than direct, it sounds quite ****ty. I have quite good reverbs, and have used time to mess with them, so I don't think the problem is there.
Can 3-D processors make sound more distant? Know any good 3-D processors?

Easy... TURN THE BLOODY VOLUME DOWN!

Actually you could try using the Acoustic Mirror function in SoundForge5 to put the listener far out from the stage.... they have a preset environment there that's 60 and 90ft. from the stage of a ballroom that may work for you.

tough question. In the old days they had rooms where microphones were placed so as to create an actual distance from the mics creating a farther away sound. Different drum sets have better qualites to bring this out but reverb is one way to achieve it but like always with reverb dont' go overboard. If you are using sample s then it becomes more difficult but definitely solo track the different drums and you can control them individually. Kick drums should usually be done without reverb for sure as they cause a boomy bottom sound that for most situations doesn't work. Hats often really cut through a mix so try to bring them down some in relation to the entire set. Ultimately the final mix is where you can space your instrument so as to create a more roomy mix. Those are some ideas but mixing really is an art that requires different settings for each song. The funny thing is that I bought this old roland MT-32 for 30 bucks the other day and it always has a far away quality......to bad the sounds are so dated.....we're talking real MIDI sounds....circa 1987

Back