Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to deal with electrocution problems in my studio

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Red face How to deal with electrocution problems in my studio

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi there,
    I currently own a home studio and i have been having electrocution problems. Especially from my bass amp, everytime i plug my bass guitar in, i will get electricity biting my fingers. I am using an Ampeg BA115 bass amp. But the problem isn't just the bass amp, even for mine guitar amp, Marshall VS100, i am getting electrocution issues that seems to come from the bridge when i play. I tried changing sockets, but it gives the same problem. I have already changed all the sockets for these 2 amps, converting to 3 pin sockets with grounding. The guitar amp and bass amp are connected to different power sockets in the room.
    The issue extends even for my PA, when i use my Presonus Firepod, sometimes i also do get electrocuted when my hand touches the edge, or sometimes from my pc as well.
    I am now thinking of getting power conditioners to solve my problems, but do they really make a difference in this issue. I am currently wearing rubber slippers to solve this problem, but can anyone give ideas about how i can solve the issue???
    What is the actual cause of this problem???

    PS: Hope you can tell me fast as long as i am still alive.....
    Latest Album release from mine band=>
    Genetic Habit-From Outside(Big'O)
    http://www.genetichabit.com
    Parablue's productions:
    http://parablue.tripod.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gent, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    1,026
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    is everything grounded and is your electric system solid build from quality components. if not, that's the problem.

    if yes, i don't know what it may be. Maybe a power conditioner can help, but i don't know actually.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How do you define grounded?? The only grounding i know is to change my power socket on my power cable coming out of the amps to 3 pins where one of the wire would be the earth wire. As for the electric system, i am just using normal house wall sockets.
    Are there special ways to ground my equipment??
    Latest Album release from mine band=>
    Genetic Habit-From Outside(Big'O)
    http://www.genetichabit.com
    Parablue's productions:
    http://parablue.tripod.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chicago area, IL USA
    Posts
    5,597
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    A vist from a professional electrician would be much cheaper than a visit to the emergency room...

    Don't mess with electrical unless you *really* know what you're doing - You either get an "A" or a "F" - There's little in between.
    [b]John Scrip - [URL=http://www.massivemastering.com] MASSIVE Mastering[/URL] - [/b][size=1]Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

    [url=http://www.massivemastering.com][img]http://www.massivemastering.com/mini.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.massivemastering.com/MassiveOneSheet.pdf]MM "One Sheet"[/url]
    Spoon-feed a newbie an answer and he'll mix for a day -
    Spark his curiosity to find the answer himself and he'll mix for a lifetime. [/size]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sounds like something has the third pin pulled from it....if not try a different outlet

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is hard to say what the problem is without actually getting in there with a meter. I would start by buying a 3 prong tester for your receptacles, they will indicate no ground or incorrect wiring for receptacles. If that is doesn't indicate a problem more then likely but no guarntee you can move onto your equipment or cables. It is difficult to try to diagnose these problems without seeing what is going on in your home. If you aren't very experienced with electricity then definetly hire a pro, not somebodys buddy who has installed a receptacle by following the instructions of a teenager at a home improvement store and now considers himself a electrician. In the trade we usually say that it isn't a matter of whether or not you get electrocuted but when you get electrocuted cause it will happen. Also if I am following you correctly you changed your receptacles to the grounding type(3 prong) from a non grounding type(2 prong), you still won't have a actual ground at that receptacle just a third prong (depending on how your house is wired) which is not up to code and is dangerous, also your receptacles may have a reverse polarity on them white wire to silver screw black to gold screw. Just trying to look out for you, make sure you get this problem fixed soon before somebody gets hurt.

    Man it feels good to be posting again, been too long.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Are you barefoot? because you can not be electrocuted if you no are grounded(like the birds at the power wires at the streets) i think you problem is Static where you are charged whit power and when you touch the 1/4 plug you discharge it, let me know

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    @ Ian: You don't necessarily have to be grounded to be shocked and it won't necessarily go through your feet. Electricty is kind of looking for a place to go so anything with a difference of potential will conduct.

    I am hoping that parablue knows the difference between static electricity and actually being electrocuted but I guess anything is possible.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jason176
    @ Ian: You don't necessarily have to be grounded to be shocked and it won't necessarily go through your feet. Electricty is kind of looking for a place to go so anything with a difference of potential will conduct.

    I am hoping that parablue knows the difference between static electricity and actually being electrocuted but I guess anything is possible.
    i think no

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •