How to chop snare samples from records

D

digiman

I've been doing my damnest to try to chop snare samples from different Vinyl and CD's. If I am fortunate enough to find a "naked" snare, I think I do a pretty good job of making something usable for programming my own beats. However if I try to chop something in between a breakbeat, I get all of this "other" sound in there as well. The hihat, as well as other noise gets all in the mix. THen when I try to take that same snare and program it in my sequencer with another kik and hat, it sounds whack! The snare just doesn't sound the same as it did in the original loop, nor is it a loud. Does this basically boil down to me having to get better at chopping and filtering or is the rule of thumb to only chop snares that are isolated on a record so you don't have to worry about having that other stuff bleed into the snare?

bro do u have access to a keyboard?casio yamaha...?korg?if so your best bet would be to sample from there,..as for the records,what are you using to sample .with?

I'm actually using SoundForge to edit my samples. I started out sampling from vinyl and CD's using the inputs on my SB Audigy card. Now I'm just ripping from CD. Then I load the edited samples into my ASR-X PRo.

Would my results be better if I went back to sampling the old way- analog?

Sometimes you'll be able to EQ or filter it out. But most of the time it will be pretty impossible. It's luck. Your best bet is to try to find isolated drums and chop the snare out from there.

Anyone want to provide me some leads on what tracks I can find isolated drums on?

Hello,

I would concentrate on using the sounds in a sound module, and shy away from sampling only kicks and snares from records. Thats basically a waste of time.

If you know what your doing, you can hear a snare drum on a record and know exactly what drum kit it came from in most cases. And then you can process it to sound pretty much the same way.

Hope this helps.

CubaseRox said:
Hello,

I would concentrate on using the sounds in a sound module, and shy away from sampling only kicks and snares from records. Thats basically a waste of time.

If you know what your doing, you can hear a snare drum on a record and know exactly what drum kit it came from in most cases. And then you can process it to sound pretty much the same way.

Hope this helps.

What do you mean? Are you saying that most kiks and snares on major releases are from sound modules? Which ones- Triton, Fantom, Motif? I've heard some of these but can't believe that someone is actually using these for major releases. If that is so, then can you tell me what kit Rich Harrison is using on the Amerie track "Why can't we fall in love?". That's a tight drum kit. If you're telling me that came from a sound module, I'd really be surprised.

Are you saying that most kiks and snares on major releases are from sound modules?

Yes, pretty much unless the artist has an actual band that plays for him/her.

Most music of today uses the same ordinary sounds that you hear straight out of the triton, motif, e-mu and roland to name a few.

I've heard some of these but can't believe that someone is actually using these for major releases.

The reason why you dont recognize those sounds is because of the processing they go through during the mixing/mastering stage.

If that is so, then can you tell me what kit Rich Harrison is using on the Amerie track "Why can't we fall in love?". That's a tight drum kit.

I dont know that song to tell you if he used a real drum set or a snyth drum kit, but even todays modern sound modules have real drum kits sampled into their ROM's. So it is possible that he used a drum kit from a sound module. Also if he did use a sound module instead of a real drum set. It is also possible to take different drums from different kits. E.G. a 909 kickdrum with an 808 snare, with 606 high hats. (roland makes those kits incase your wondering)

You can also tweak the sounds in a module and make them sound totally different. The possibilities are endless. There is too much to explain so I wont get into that part of it.

Hope this helps.

CubaseRox said:
Hello,

Hope this helps.

Man sample off records synthesizers can't always replicate the sound you get from vinyl.

Peace

KomplexBeats said:

Man sample off records synthesizers can't always replicate the sound you get from vinyl.

Peace

That's because you dont know what you are doing!!!

And the sounds you hear on vinyl had to have originally come from synths in most cases.

Did you even read his dilemma? He states that when he samples off of vinyl he barely gets an isolated sound.

Back