Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to calculate room modes?

Thanks

Edit: room modes and control studio acoustics

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have an assignment for my recording class. We're supposed to figure out how many room modes in a project studio based on the given dimensions and then do a 4 page paper on how to acoustically treat the room, including a budget.

I'm not worried about the second part; with a little bit of net research I can finish it up in a couple of hours, but I have no idea how to calculate the room modes. Can anyone help me?
    Last edited by phatastic; 02-13-2005 at 07:26 PM.
    If you're doing something you'll regret in the morning, sleep late.

Thanks
    I dont mean to sound like an a$$ but it seems like you want us to do your homework for you.

Didnt you learn how to calculate room modes in class?

For real I dunno how to do that, but good luck getting the answer. Ima try and learn from this thread too.
    I dont read long posts....

Please Check Out The Links!
    my sound click page
    mikey cat sound click page

Thanks
    Actually I think they did, it's an 8 o clock class and I have missed one, so yeah probably.

I figured it was a simple calcuation so I thought this would get me a quicker response than emailing a friend of mine in the class to get his notes.

:mad:

Ass.

I'll holler at him and see what he knows.

edit: WOW. My bad FP. I'm doing a little research and it turns out there's more to this than I thought.

Looks like I'll be answering my own question, lol. For those interested or are thinking of building their own studio, here's the scoop.

Room modes are frequencies which naturally enhance the volume/reverb of certain notes in control rooms. They can vary greatly depending on the dimensions of the room, so the only way to really know where they exist is to use specialzed programs that can calculate where they may be found. Modes are especially important for control rooms, since you want to get as flat a response as possible and so would be smarter to build your studio in a room with dimensions that create the best sonic quality (i.e. multiple room modes).

I'm looking around for a page with a good link to a mode calculator and a better explanation of everything I just described, I'll be posting it here in a second.
    Last edited by phatastic; 02-13-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks
    Here's the link everyone, there's actually quite a bit of information on room acoustics so this might be a good site to frequent anyway. For room modes and MODECALC, click the link on the right.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#modecalc

Hope this answers your question Phat.

lol I'm a retard.

Thanks
    Excellent link !!

Actually all Ethan Winer's readings are very recommended for studio room setups.
    I feel MOOG'ed today...
    http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

Thanks
    Originally posted by THM
    Excellent link !!

Actually all Ethan Winer's readings are very recommended for studio room setups.
    Awesome. I guess I stumbled on a credible source. Glad to be of assistance.

Thanks
    awesome link with a LOT of useful and interesting info

Thanks
    Originally posted by THM
    Excellent link !!

It is a very good link.

BTW THM, how's your new control room going?

SPECTRAL DISCO PIMP

Thanks
    Still working on it - waiting for all cables to arrive (subterranean cable pipes are foreseen for electricity, MIDI, and audio - with eectricity cables decently seperated from the others). And I think I'm gonna try out the cheapest soundproofing foam before going to the more expensive Auralex stuff. But after all I definitely need soundproofing foam (I think to buy 192 square feet of 1'x1'x2" wedges); my monitor stands, mixing desk & synth stands are placed already but there's still remaining a very lot unwanted reverbs.
    I feel MOOG'ed today...
    http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

Thanks
    Originally posted by THM
    Still working on it - waiting for all cables to arrive (subterranean cable pipes are foreseen for electricity, MIDI, and audio - with eectricity cables decently seperated from the others). And I think I'm gonna try out the cheapest soundproofing foam before going to the more expensive Auralex stuff. But after all I definitely need soundproofing foam (I think to buy 192 square feet of 1'x1'x2" wedges); my monitor stands, mixing desk & synth stands are placed already but there's still remaining a very lot unwanted reverbs.
    Is the unwanted reverb right across the spectrum or specifically in certain bands?

Incidentally, I'm learning how to design soundsystems for specific venues this semester so I am learning about different speaker types/directional sound properties/dispersion properties etc What monitors are you using? Can you give me a basic plan of where your equipment is in the room.

I'll gladly have a go at recalulating the rt60 and modal resonance factors of your control room based on the dimensions and materials used and see if we can't work out how to resolve the problems you're having if you like, although I appreciate that you may want a more professional involvement bud...
    Last edited by Lord Thathidge; 02-15-2005 at 05:56 AM.

SPECTRAL DISCO PIMP

Thread Information