How to apply acoustic foam non-permanently?

mnw

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of applying acoustic foam to my room and was wondering what are some ways I can do so without damaging the walls? I'm renting the apartment and inevitably will be moving out in the future; when that time comes I'll have to take off all the foam. Surprisingly there's not that much on the internet from my brief research beyond a suggestion of using T-Pins which seems like a great idea (it'd go through the foam and punch a discreet hole into the wall).

If anyone has any recommendations or experiencing doing this that would be awesome! I'm not great with DIY crafts and stuff, so any non-permanent but strong adhesive recommendations (that would stick to foam) would be appreciated.

T-pins are probably fine, another classic hack for this is gluing a CD to the back of the foam with spray adhesive and use the hole in the CD to hang it to a thumbtack or similar.

T-pins are probably fine, another classic hack for this is gluing a CD to the back of the foam with spray adhesive and use the hole in the CD to hang it to a thumbtack or similar.

Cool! Probably going to go with T-Pins and see how it works out cause the foam panels are really light. I'm assuming if you used a CD with a thumbtack, that would be necessary if the foam were heavier?

>>>>T-pins are probably fine, another classic hack for this is gluing a CD to the back of the foam with spray adhesive and use the hole in the CD to hang it to a thumbtack or similar.<<<<

IMHO, krushing's idea here is WAAAYYY better than what a lot of people do-- just apply spray adhesive to the tiles and/or wall directly. It is a pain to remove them if you ever need to though. I learned this humbling lesson from experience. Use the CD idea or something similar.

GJ

One way I thought you could do it is sticking your acoustic foam to a larger piece of cardboard and then attaching that cardboard to the wall.

It would mean you would need less fixtures to the wall.

And you could also use them 3m command strips allowing for no damage on the wall at all!

Just make sure you use enough to hold it up.

Back