hotel studio?

iam2d

studio.jpg
hey so this is where im staying at for like a month or so.(im 17 waiting to turn 18 to get an apartment)
Anyway I have a audio tech 220 usb mic. I was wondering what place/things I could set up to record to get the best sound I can. I know its not the most ideal location, but i got hella raps waiting to be recorded and Im new to this town so not sure what the whole studio stiuation is around here. (shout out to anybody in sacramento area hit me up) Some information about my room is the walls are pretty thin( I woke up to a couple ****ing eachothers brains out a couple times so far, guess people like to **** in hotels) and there is a bathroom. Idk, if anyone is super creative and smart with acoustics I would be thrilled to hear from you. I know there is a lot of people like that on this forum. Thanks for your time

^ I'm not going to criticize his response because it's so far out there that I have to assume he was being sarcastic. Lol.
I think I read about a popular 80s band who recorded drums in a bathroom for a song before, though. If "80s hair band" is the sound you're going for, go right ahead!
There are also some top stars who record vocals in hotel rooms for mixtapes (Lil Wayne has done this), but their hotel rooms are bigger and just generally more suitable for recording than your peasant-class hotel room is.

Anyway, it's going to sound BAD. A small, untreated, mostly empty room. No absorption and extremely little diffusion. The particular flavor of "bad" will be "boxy".
I don't know who is going to mix it, but I call "not it"! :D
I know that's not what you wanted to hear.
On the positive side, though, your acoustics can basically only get better from now on!

To make the sound as "less bad" as possible, take that mattress and flip it so that it's standing alongside the wall right behind you as you record. That's right -- not behind the microphone, but behind YOU. The reasoning behind this is that your microphone's pickup pattern is directional -- it picks up mostly what it's pointed at. This means that the strongest reflections ("reverb") it's picking up are the ones bouncing off the wall from the direction the mic is pointed.

The alternative strategy to deadening the room (putting something absorptive behind the MIC) only works if you're right up on the mic.
When I say "right up on the mic" I mean you're so close to the mic that you're almost kissing it, to the point where the proximity effect is making you sound like a monster, and where your plosives ("p"/"b"/"t") are causing some major capsule distortion. This alternative strategy can also cause comb-filtering issues, where high-frequency sound waves are being absorbed, but lower-frequency waves are bouncing back into the capsule after only a millisecond or so, which leads to an EXTREMELY boxy, comb-filter-y, cheap sound.

Using the desktop stand that your mic comes with will create some issues as well. Putting a microphone's capsule right next to a surface (a wall, the ground, a desktop, etc.) will lead to even MORE of that boxy, small, comb-filter-y sound. You're letting sound waves bounce near the capsule extremely quickly, without much time for their amplitude to dissipate.

At this point, if you don't know what I mean by "comb-filtery, boxy sound", download a professional acapella from a hit song off the Internet. Bring it into your DAW.
Create a delay as a send FX, and send your acapella to it. Set feedback to 0%, Dry/Wet to 100% wet, and delay time to around 1-3 milliseconds.
Now, on your delay send, attach an EQ. One band: High shelf at around 550Hz. Gain reduction of about 7dB. Q of around 0.5.
This will approximate the recording conditions of a medium-sized closet treated entirely with 1" acoustic foam. This is what we call "boxy". This is the kind of vocal I hate having sent to me to mix.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
bathroom for reverb where you from 70's? Chamber style huh? Come on now we live in a digital world man just take em mattress and put em on a wall corner and record.

Last edited:
Salem Beats had some straight info for you there.

Funny dudes... "Digital world..." Unless you live inside a video game, you still have to deal with real-world physics. You will have lots of room sound.

One trick that reporters and journalists on the road have used for years-- sit in the middle of the bed, and throw a blanket and/or bedspread over your head while you record. You will have much less of the nasty room sound or mid/high-end ring. It WILL get hot under there, though (for you, and the computer).

GJ

Funny dudes... "Digital world..." Unless you live inside a video game, you still have to deal with real-world physics. You will have lots of room sound.

One trick that reporters and journalists on the road have used for years-- sit in the middle of the bed, and throw a blanket and/or bedspread over your head while you record. You will have much less of the nasty room sound or mid/high-end ring. It WILL get hot under there, though (for you, and the computer).

GJ

Pro Tip: don't take the computer under the blanket with you. It doesn't get to get in on the action under the sheets.

;)

-Ki
Salem Beats

GJ

What you talking about man??... Are you recording on tape and cutting them still? Musicians dudes nowadays be like "analog is the shit!", and don't even know how to put together a Mickie 32X8, Patch bays, and a Motu 24 I/O interface together. If you have white hair with wrinkles, I retired everything I just said and show respect putting my head down!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what a "Mickie 32x8" is (is that like "Mickey Way, the candy bar??" or did you mean Mackie??)...I'll wager I was cutting tape with a razorblade before you were conceived, though... White hair? I shaved my head many years ago. ;) GJ

Bathroom for vocals is a good idea but there wil lbe a lot reflection that could be unnecessary.. I would prefer to have the cleanest vocal recording without any effects of reverb and such. Anyways, you need some noise cancelling headphones for such an environment to have good production

Honestly in my opinion since you are only 17 and waiting to turn 18 to get an apartment I would say just to hold off on even recording in your hotel room and just ride your time until you turn 18. There also is the choice of finding a studio around you im sure you can find something on google, plus if you are in Cali there HAS to be a studio somewhere around you. I know you said you didnt know anyone around the area, but this is a perfect time to start networking and getting to know some folks. Who knows they may lead you to bigger and better things. Hope this helps you out. Stay grinding.

Back