Hooking up a compressor to Digi 001

D

DJXodus

Picked up an outboard compressor, I also have a 001. Do I connect the say output 4 from 001 to the input of the comp. Connect the output from the comp to input 4 on the 001? In Protools do I insert the input 4 for the comp.
Do I use 1/4 patch cables?

Everyone will set up their system to best suit them. So, my comments are just from my point of view with my interests and uses in mind.

I don't know what compressor you've got, but if it's a low end jawn, the software compressors in/or available for PTLE are probably just as good if not way better.

That said, I use a patchbay. All of my hardware gear is set up from it. Compressors are patched to particular inputs or outputs when I need to. They are never hard wired to a particular channel of anything. Saves me time by not having to go behind the equipment.

By the way, I have Digi001 also.

Peace.

Thanks for your reply Homer, I got a MAduio Tampa. I got it because of it has a preamp and that fact that it adds warmth. I record in low latentcy mode so it bypasses my comp plugin. I also like to have and outboard comp in case of excessive plugin usage, not allowing to bounce. I'm going to hook up a patchbay, what I was asking in reference to inputs was just an example. I don't plan on connect the comp full time to the ins/out of the interface

2 choices here.
1 you can use a Y connector, you just match the in and outputs and put the single plug into the compressor.
as you first mentiod above if your using input and output 4 yes match the 2 together channel 4 in a 4 out( i have the digi002 dont know if there is much difference with this part of it) then in your I/O setup make sure the path is correct. so that analog 4 is mono you can also then name the channel.
then you go to the track you want to add compression and click the insert then go to I/O (im going off memory im not infront of my pc on a friends) and then choose your channel you have setup for the compressor.
2 you get your input from your compressor and put that to your output in the oo1 then get your output from the compressor and put that to the input on ur 001, do the same as above with your I/O settings.

for stereo just use 2 Y conectors for each channel or another 2 1/4 inch plugs for the second methoed.

and when your seting up your I/O in pro tools make sure to set it up as stereo so channels 4 and 5 will be left and right.
hope this made sense to you.

Back