homestudio amp + monitors: recommandations?

tboeken

homestudio amp + monitors: recommendations?

Having the ability to re-organize my home-studio, I would appreciate some recommendations on amps and monitors.

My setup now consists of the following:

Tannoy monitors (bassreflex, pretty dated)
Kenwood integr. amp.
Fostex VF16 digital multitracker
AKG C3000 mic.
Behringer tube pre-amp (stereo, single tube)
Behringer compr./limiter
2 sets of good headphones (open + closed shells)

Especially when it comes to monitoring I am looking for a replacement of amp + speakers, getting a much more 'straightforward' sound. Hear some good things about the Alesis series (amp: RA300 - around $250 -, speakers: Monitor One MK2 passive - around $300). But others say if you can spend some $1000 look for something else... except then: what??

So, plz. let me know from you guys then!!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Last edited:
you know what?

For about 2 years I had a pair of ALESIS Monitor ONE speakers, and also an ALESIS RA-100 studio amplifier. It was sweet, very nice for th eprice (its damn cheap actually!). I think it'll cost you a few hundred dollars for the pair+amp.

If you want to spend a little bit more, I suggest you to get the EVENT 20/20 BAS (bas is important). These are THE SWEETEST studio monitors I've ever listenned to! They sound as good as 3000 dollars a pair monitors. These event are good because you plug them directly to your studio mixer and you dont need an amplifier. Don't be scared though, these are GREAT amplified speakers. Sweetest sound you'll get for the price (I paid 750 dollars for my pair). Furthermore, they are magnetically shielded and I can put them on the sides of my 19 inch computer screen without any color problem (just a little trembling if I put them against the screen.

hope this helps!

Finally Got My Event 20/20s Active

They sound great; they're heavy as hell. I was re-reading threads about them and there's something about a pre-amp. Do I need one or will it make it sound better if I get one. And where does it go? In between the speakers amp?

Physical Setup: I have a 16-track mixer and I'm going straight fromt the Main Outs to the speakers (using a 1/4" to XLR wire).

Also, thanks for mentioning the maganetic shielding. I wasn't aware that they were; I was trying to place them carefully away from the computer, the MPC's ZIP, etc. haha!.:D

And as always-any help is very much appreciated.

One ATLien
:D :monkey: :D

Back