Homemade Desks Anyone?

W

welchy3

im lookin at desks, and they seem pretty expensive. has anyone here succesfully made a desk for thier mixer, keyboard, or whatever?
pictures?

thanks
thomas

^^Nice link^^

I'd actually like to. Though I don't know how comfortable I am with losing some fingers in the process.

Yeah, I actually made all the furniture for my studio (except for the chair)...I found that retailers were just charging too much money for studio furniture...so went on a shopping spree @ The Home Depot and here is the result... total cost was about $200 (Desk, Rack, Keyboard Stand)

word of advice; before building anything, sit down and come up with a decent blueprint...This way you will save tons of time...

btw: the pics were taken before the studio was complete (dont hate)lol...

FiLtEr said:
Yeah, I actually made all the furniture for my studio (except for the chair)...I found that retailers were just charging too much money for studio furniture...so went on a shopping spree @ The Home Depot and here is the result... total cost was about $200 (Desk, Rack, Keyboard Stand)

word of advice; before building anything, sit down and come up with a decent blueprint...This way you will save tons of time...

btw: the pics were taken before the studio was complete (dont hate)lol...

Very nice! Did you stain the wood yourself?

Yeah, I actually started with oak panels, 8'x4' cut them, stained them, lacquered them...also did the floors, which was my biggest achievement...lol

dont get me wrong Ive been in the construction for 10 years, so I have all the necessary equipment, which is crucial.

Floors after sanding

Floors after

I'm gonna make a post soon with my whole studio buildup from start to finish...

Thanks, the whole project took about 1 month from start to finish...I still need to turn the closet into a vocal booth, but have no urgent need for that now

dang...so $200 for everything?? including the stain and what not?? im speakin on the desk/rack themselves, not the floor...

so you chose oak panels then?? everything seems structurally sound as well...the spot looks really really nice man, you did a fantastic job...i am lookin to build myself a desk just like that one except i want to have 2 more accompaning desks of similar size so im glad to hear that it wont cost me an arm and a leg...:D

Now thinking about it it may have been a little more than $200 lol

hehe...i work at a paint store actually so im not too worried about the stain adding a huge cost, but either way...if i could build a desk like yours for under $300 i'd still be a happy man...:D

Wow thats some great looking furniture!
Course I couldn't even build a box in Tech Ed class in high school, so I guess I'll be paying out the ass for the prebuilt stuff lol

not to be redundant but **** beautiful job on the studio, you should consider building studios for people

Back