HOME vs STUDIO RECORDING (your opinion)

T

Tha Truth

Can you produce mainsteam quality tracks in your home studio?

if you have the skills and talent of a studio engineer, yes. If you are just starting out and discovering how to use a compressor, no... or at least not for a while.

An old friend of mine, Billy Howerdel, hooked up ProTools in his living room - an older system built around a PowerMac 9600 - and he recorded the whole Perfect Circle album right there.

Of course it didn't hurt to have Maynard sing, and Maynard's engineer do the final mix, but the fact is he did 95% of the final product in his house.

booyah. :)

jizzer

p.s. wassup mano baby:cool:

Well I think if you have mastering gear like TC Electronic's Finalizer, and you know how to work with it, it has to be possible to make ultraprofessional recordings at home.
But I admit: give me a synth and I'll let you hear the most freaking sounds - but let me do the mastering, and it's a wasted effort... :D

what's up jizzer! :)

i think it's entirely possible to do your entire productin at home depending on what you skills are and what equipment you are using. If anything you can save a ton of cash by just doing the final mixdown and mastering in the studio instead of paying for all the studio time for recording and tracking.

I don't see very many studios that do very good work myself. I deal with a lot of indie bands and I hear some awful recording coming from studios.

I've only been doing this for a few month with the best equipment I could get for $3000 and my work is superior to many of the studios here in columbus. . . and I suck :)

peace
sam
zekthedeadcow@hotmail.com
http://www.Track100.com

i'm actually trying to stick to my guns on the whole production at home aspect. after hearing that cubase is stable enough to run as my live sequencer on stage, i'm probably going "capture" the live aspect and record it i can honestly say i've been to some studios where i've been really impressed with the quality, but i think it's also heavily dependent on who is "producing" the material...if you've got a bad engineer behind the desk, it's going to sound like crap no matter what "big name high budget" gear is in there...

i learned all the principles and concepts behind mixing music from 2 points of view in a live venue: monitors and foh. the guy that taught me was a badass, and i'd routinely wander up to the FOH position and here what that engineer's mix sound like. unless it was a rock back it usually wasnt' that great. whereas the guy that taugh me really had the best mix in the whole house off the reference monitor. exact same channels, exact same performers, always 2 entirely different mixes.

If you don't trust yourself to do the mixdown and mastering (and sometimes it is good to have another opinion in the matter) the keep your tracks as seperated as possible and as dry as possible (aka no effects or the ability to have both a wet and dry track) and take them to a studio...that's the best advice i can give on it. :)

Yes experience is the key. I know some artists which are signed that make all their stuff + mastering on home computers. So it is possible indeed, you just need to have lots of experience first so you can squeeze the needed juice from the software. :)

CZ

I got Ghetto Pride, and am Down to Do EveryThing at Home. Stuff the Studios. Its Possible to ProDuce a High Quality Product at Home...BeSides the Home Studios Always have More Heart Into It.

:cheers:

Back