Home Studio: where to start??

T

Tristano

What's the best to buy to begin building your studio?
I've got no ****ing clue, I mean I know what it should be like eventually but where do I start?
Any help? thanks

hello Sushi!
you should read all the other existing threads in this particular forum (Home Studio Installation), as some other people asked the exact same question, and I think the posts there will answer yours.

;)

oops, you're right,
but I did post in the right forum, didn't I :)

To me here's what you need for a basic setup

Some monitors,
one workstation (triton, motif, etc.)
recorder
mixer
condenser mic
a computer
sound proofing
head phones
and some outputs and cables....

THATS VERY GENERAL, tho

one of the best ways to learn, but i know alot of the new guys into recording here will disagree.
get a simple portable studio either 4 track or 8 and learn how it all works, these are just sacled down versions of the big rigs, and alot of people still prefer them. Helmet have releasd albums on 8 track recorders and those albums are in peoples collections. it is best to learn from the start and limiting your self with tracks can be better than having unlimited tracks it will make you think more, you will have to plan more and in the end put more effort into your recordings. i have 32 tracks with protools and still treat alot of things like im using the old 4 track tascam, and it is good to learn the world of recording before the home pc digital audio workstation (DAW).

If I were you, I would get a groovebox, where everything is in one machine... like the yamaha rs7000...
you can also hook it up to the pc with midi, get a cheap sequencer (altough the sequencer is already built in the rs7000) then get some monitors... then buy a masterkeyboard... get a synth (either softsynth or a *real* synth!) then go for some effect units... etc... oh... and buy a mixer... to hook everything to it... like the mackie 1402vlz or something like that...

cheers
rich

Back