Home studio

Dr Spaceman

Hello Guy's,

Im building a home studio but now i have a qeustion about the acoustic treatment.

What is good to do when it comes to this?
(my goal is to have a good clear sound)

Thank you guy's

How big is the room? What shape? Windows? Door(s)? Ceiling height? All must be taken into consideration, but basics would include some kind of bass traps for corners, and something for high end reflections.

GJ

It's a square room with a windows off 1 by 2 meters
The room itself is 3x2.5 meters.
One door and 2.4 meters heigh

Thanks man

I found A LOT of useful info on gikacoustics.com, you can even send them info about your room for free, and they'll help where they can.

One thing I will say: DON'T get Auralex foam, or any other foam really. I would personally suggest to make them yourself. Yes, it takes time, some work, a bit of tools (not too many though), some work on gathering the info. BUT, it pays off. I made different shapes and sizes, to give it an aesthetically pleasing result as well. They are 14cm thick (which is about 5,5 inches), Make em too thin, and the effect won't be good enough.

As for your room, it's not huge, so you don't want monitors that are too big for your room. I, for example have the Focal Alpha 65's in a room pretty much your size, and trust me, they're big enough, probably the 50's would've been fine as well.

For the treatment placement: search for "early sound reflections", and maybe even include "mirror trick". Once you google this, you'll get the info you need for placement. In short: Left, right, above, behind you, behind the monitors, some bass traps, and depending on the floor you can always add a carpet.
Personally I haven't add basstraps yet, and I must say my current treatment seems to handle this pretty darn well. Ofcourse, adding them would be even better.

I know I loved working on this, and it taught me a lot about sound. Good luck!

Back