Home Studio

UnkNowNGenius

Hello, im totally new here on FP and also new to beatmaking, I usually use Reason/Protools/Logic, but there's isnt enough time at the studio so I REALLY REALLY want to get a studio at home, but DONT KNOW what gear i need?

Can you guys recommend me a GOOD MIDI KEYBOARD? and dope speakers?

Definitely not going over 1500$.

Do you currently have anything at home to start with?

I currently have the mpk49 which I'm personally a big fan of the keys feel great and the sliders and knobs are really helpful to my workflow only thing I don't like are the pads.

For monitors I have the Rokit Powered 5 1st Gen they do the job but assuming your going to be doing some serious mixing I'd recommend going with some Yamaha HS80's.

Yea I have the Akai MPK49 as well, but I added the fatpads for better response of the pads. This a good unit. There are many others out there that will work just fine. M-Audio makes good units, Axioms are a little suspect IMO. Best bet is to go the GC or Sam Ash or W/E and feel for yourself. Also, try pawn shops, theres always something in there to touch, for producers who either moved on or were hard up for cash.
Peace

I've always used M-Audio because of its the only midi keyboard there, BUT doesn't it feel really cheap and only made of cheap plastic? it doesnt feel good.. but yet i've seen big artist/producers use them and every studio got them, may I ask WHY? It looks ok tho.

Dunno if i can use the m-audio, doesn't feel good for me ;P

I've always used M-Audio because of its the only midi keyboard there, BUT doesn't it feel really cheap and only made of cheap plastic? it doesnt feel good.. but yet i've seen big artist/producers use them and every studio got them, may I ask WHY? It looks ok tho.

Dunno if i can use the m-audio, doesn't feel good for me ;P

Personal preference my guess. Like MegaloDeez said just head over to a sam ash or guitar center and play on some gear find whatever your comfortable with thats in your budget and go with it.

For MIDI keyboard I have an oxygen49key but you can get cheaper ones this one was $150, but it's because it has all the knobs and faders for CC control, but if you aren't going to use that, justt get a plain keyboard with just the keys on it (pitchbend and modulatin wheel on it obviously) and your good... for speakers... if your room is not treated it won't make much difference if you have expensive speakers that are supposed to sound good or cheap ones like m-audio..

my room is not treated, is there any thread here on FP i can learn how to treat?

Been thinking about an Yahama something for speakers not sure yet, but i like them i guess.

What do I need except for a midi keyboard,speakers/monitors and a computer?

It all depends on what works 4 you, everybody is different...i use a beats by dre hp, m-audio keyboard, krk speakers, akai 8, m audio pre, and at night i mix with the beats by dre headphones. Im about 2 add maschine to the list. Its important that its not what u have but how u use what u have...

thanks man, what is the m audio pre?

I've been thinking of a ASR-10, is it a sampler? I dont know lol, heard of some people its dope.

Seriously though, it really depends on how you make music. Are you like Lex Lugar? Paste all your beat's in on FL studio and it's cheap. Are you like Pharell or Ryan Leslie? Make all your beat's on a midi controller(axiom 61 is what Pharell has been using recently and so do i) or midi keyboards with big sound banks already in them(this is how Pharell has made most of his music in the past). Are you like Kanye or S1? Use MPC's,Midi keyboards/controllers and live instruments. Are you like No ID,Pete Rock or DJ Premiere? Use a MPC or Maschine to make sample only beats.
Figure out what style you have/want to have to make beats then we can let you know what's the best way to spend your $1500 on your studio. That's what i would do first.

^
Yo, i've seen you replying on a few threads i've been making, appreciate that, for real.

This one is the best post by you or most helpful i think hehe (loved the other replies too)

I dont sample that much BECAUSE of im new and i dont know WHAT songs or where i could get my samples from, im just beginning to sample a lil bit def gon do much more later.

So the best description of my producing type would be Pharrell/Ryan Leslie, I use Logic Pro 9/Reason pick sounds etc play on the midi keyboard, record, mix and everything in the software.

Thought about getting a MPC but dunno about that, maybe save that up for later.
Also heard that kanye uses asr-10 too?

Thanks.

No problem man. I was in your position at one point.
Kanye has used the ASR-10 in his earlier album's for sure, but i don't know about recently? I know on his last few album's he and his team used a MPC,Logic,Pro Tools,Synths,Live instruments and some Midi keyboards/controllers. He has a production team though, so you can't really know what he (alone) use's without their help beside's a MPC.
I would say you should stick with Logic for sound banks and learn how the sampler works. Buy a 61-88 key midi controller. Axiom61 or MPK-88 are both great. Get a M-Audio interface for $150~ or a Profire610(I have this) if you want better quality recording for for vocals or instruments. Yamaha HS80's and you are set.

Thanks again, Get a M-Audio interface for $150~ or a Profire610 what is that?

Yeah man, your posts sounds so right to me, I should stick to a Logic Pro/Reason, get Yamaha HS80 they look dope, sounds good.
Ill check the midi controllers.

Didnt know kanye had a production team tho.

M-Audio Profire610 is a better HD interface that is around 3x the price of the basic M-Audio interface. You really only want to get the profire610 if you are working with vocals.
Kanye works with 3-5 other producers/musicians to make most of his music since his second album. He works with one of his sound engineer's Mike Dean who also plays the keys and guitar(This is who is playing the guitar in Kanye songs if it is not a sample). He also works with Jon Brion and Jeff Bhasker. They play all sorts of keys like organs,pianos,clavs and anything like that. NO ID,Emile and Plain Pat(G.O.O.D Music production team) co produce some of his music as well. Kanye definitely composes all his music and is a big part of every song he use's. But his production team does half of the hands on work.

^
Aha, do i really need a m-audio interface? cuz i can mix things in logic pro.

So kanye got someone playing the guitar for him haha didnt know that =D

Yeah you don't really need a interface if you are sticking to a all software studio.

I will prolly stick to a all software studio, yamaha speakers, some dope midi controller and im fine? also a comfortable chair ofc haha

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Hey are there other midi keyboard u can recommend?

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

do you know what midi keyboard this is?

Photos du profil | Facebook

seemed like the one u mentioned but the pads on this one is on the left side :P

You can really consider a lot of things a midi keyboard. MPC's are midi keyboards, so is the keyboard from the game Rockband (im not BSing you).

I use this as my midi keyboard: 1600-MPD18_angle.jpg

Back