Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home studio!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok, so I'm going to get a computer for recording, editing, mastering, some audio sequencing, and effects. What I'm considering is a nice new Mac with as much memory as I can stuff in it, and either a MOTU 2408 MKII or a digidesign Digi-001, with a TCWorks Powercore DSP Turbo PCI card. Does anybody have any experience this stuff? It's not like I can run down to the store and play around with these things. I'd like to get as many opinions as possible, because as you know this stuff ain't cheap, and I don't want to plop down a few grand for crap.

Thanks
    I hear the Powercore doesn't work with everything. Maybe it works for all the things you like to use. I'd make sure it did before I went out and spend 1200 on it. Sonicstate.com just did a review of it.

Thanks
    Definitely get the MOTU. They are very nice, and youre not tied to a specific program (you can only use Digi with protools.)
    As for the powercore, I was thinking of buying one until I saw the UAD-1 now that sounds good. Just read a review. These guys made all those compressors like the LA-2A, and this card emulates them, its also got a reverb ported from TDM format (protools!)
    The TC effects that work on your host aren't so good. The reverb that comes with the bundle is average at best, I've heard better freeware ones. The compressor uses more power than it should and I prefer the ones built into logic, which hardly use any power at all.
    Hope that helped

Thanks
    Oh yeah I'm not sure whether they've got mac drivers for it yet, but they might already be i dont know

Thanks
    Originally posted by Marek Bereza
    Definitely get the MOTU. They are very nice, and youre not tied to a specific program (you can only use Digi with protools.)
    i use a motu 2408mkII at one studio i work wit, it has great quality. motu's customer servis is **** though. the digi001 doesn't only work with pro tools... my boy in germany uses one with his recordings and he uses logic.

Thanks
    i was only told that. Maybe the guy wanted to try and sell me something else. Anyway 2408's look nicer

Thanks
    Originally posted by Marek Bereza
    i was only told that. Maybe the guy wanted to try and sell me something else. Anyway 2408's look nicer
    its not about looks though. but the 2408mkII has more expandability. so i think he should get one of them.

Thanks
    Of course it isn't but it does count for something.

Okay maybe it doesn't, but it does look quite nice

Thanks
    The TC card only works with VST compatible software, which the MOTU is not. Either Digidesign or MOTU will do pretty mcuh everythign you'll need. I hear good things about the latest version of Digital Performer. I own the 001 and have been very happy. The midi implementation has been greatly improved and is more than enough to handle most sequencer needs. I also run my 001 through a Korg Oasys card as an outboard processor and the 001/Oasys combo is quite powerful. A lot of folks using 001 have incorporated the Oasys as a way of overcoming the limits of host-based processing.
    Last edited by awkword; 10-31-2001 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks, guys.

Thread Information