Helpy with hardware. please

R

Rob_10304

hey people

wassup?

ive been producing hip-hop etc on my PC on and off for the past year now, and i wonna get into it more seriously! i was wondering what good pieces of hardware you would recommend for producing and mixing up beats, im looking at Multitrackers like the Yamaha AW16G and the ZOOM MRS 1266 & Korg D1200, but im wondering if id be best of using a sampler or what? bear in mind i dont just want to record and produce hip hop, im a bassist, so i want to record funk, and blues, rock etc aswell, but sequence it all myself! and suggestions on some good gear for about the 500 - 600 pound that lets me say do some sampling on the computer and import files, then mix it all up and record it on a piece of hardware(im not sure what that is in dollars) mark???

most appreciated

I would say some sort of merge between software and hardware.

If you get a good sequencer like Cubase SX, a good midi controller, and maybe an MPC you'll have access to a lot of options.

You can bang out grooves on the MPC, import them into Cubase and then lay down some melodies/etc. with the midi controller and some good software instruments.

If you play instruments, you'll like to have an instrument to play hip hop.

DOn't get a too expensive synth, better search for a combo on used or opened box gear on Ebay, Musiciansfriend of ZZounds.

EMU has really great options for hip hop.

The Mk6 is one of the best options at low prices. It's around $350, and is a high quality instrument. Basses are really bbbbooooowwww, perfect for hip hop.

The MP 7 groovebox is even better. It comes with a monster sequencer, more polyphony and 16 assignable knobs for tweaking them. You could get one on $500, but I have seen some rise of the prices, cause they are becomming very wishy.

Also, the MoPhatt Urban Dance is pretty cheap, it's a rack module with tons of Hip Hop oriented sounds.

but I think you should get also a sampler. Something desktop like the SP 808. It's a great phrase sampler with huge sampling storage (even 63 minutes at 44.1 Mhz stereo)

Buy one of this instruments and hook a sampler with MIDI. maybe you won't spend more than $1000 and will have a great gear for hip hop

good luck

Back