Help with understanding 24-bit VS others... lexicon or tascam etc..

F

FreeVerse

Im basiclly debating between the US-122($199) by Tascam and the Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio($349) or the step-up from the previous Tascam to the US-224, which also says 16 bit or 24 bit. The lexicon one specifically states it is a 24-bit recording studio, while the first Tascam one doesnt state that but has more inputs. They are essientialy the same regaurding tweaking knobs and things, I was told at guitar center that the tascam one will provide studio quality sound from my mixer or microphone to the tascam recording unit, which then converts it to a digital signal and transfers it to my computer via USB(there are also firewire ones out too, and they all state the infamous 24-bit recording feature)

The reason both of these are cheaper than full out studio recording boards is becasue they lack all the tweaking knobs, but the input can be tweaked post-recording so that doesnt seem like a huge deal. Right? Guitar center guy (i know i know) said it is the same quality as the larger more expensive boards. Please let me know if 24-bit is essiential, and if these USBFirewire devices will give me studio quality sound into my pc(cause line-in analog into my soundcard is awful sounding). Thanks everyone.

- FreeVerse

Well if your deal'n wit a buget go with the 122 it was my first interface and it has 24bit capability 224 is good too but u would fine with the 122.

What kind of music are u doing?

im doing mostly like break beat\underground-hiphop stuff. Like not mtv hiphop but more so definitve jux hiphop, like real crazy sounds and evilidhly hard drums. Lots of turntable samples too, so i have to have zero latency monitoring.

correct me if I'm wrong, but with 24 bits more information will be transmit, what it means is a better sound quality?

????

so you say that 122 tascam can do 24 bit, cause it doesnt say so on the site.

any other recc. on usb or other methods of recording to pc?

yea it can do 24 bit, i have one so im sure. i havent really checked on any others. i'm saving for the protools 001 tho

Last edited:
Back