Help: converting attic to studio

D

dj funkifize

My attic is right now not at all livable. It is freezing in the winter and deathly hot in the summer. In fact it's too hot up there now and it's only spring.
That's my biggest problem... the temperature. I told my dad the idea and he said he's been trying to think of a way to use that space too, but the temperature is too big a problem.
Any suggestions??
thanks
-Mike S

uhhhhhmmmmmm............. Insulation might be a good start!!! Temperature is definitely important, you want to be able to focus on making music not staying alive...!

It's not good to have a bunch of expensive equipment in the cold either. Stuff will freeze and crack and/or not work properly. Insulation is a hassle though, I used to work with that stuff and it takes forever when the house is already built. Get a couple of portable oil or electric elements to heat the place up instead, your electricity bill will rocket but it will be a lot less work than insulating the place over again.

well, yeah, insulation would help... as a start. But I'd need more than that. It gets in the 90s in the summer and 20-30s in the winter in there. Right now it's spring (I'm in New Jersey) and it hasn't even hit near as hot as it can get in the middle of summer.
I'm thinking that I'll have to forget this idea and just stay in my room.:rolleyes:
oh well, thanks anyway :)
-Mike S

The time, money and effort you spend converting an attic into usable state (not to mention the necessary acoustic treatment) is so enormous, it could turn your bedroom into a respectable home studio. Besides unbearable temperature, animals may crawl into the attic from the roof. You don't want your cables and equipments get destroyed by half a dozen of squirrels, right? Think about it, if the attic was a feasible idea for a studio (or anything at all), the term "bedroom musician" would be obsolete :D

Back