Ouput of my MIXER

To BBE Maximizer

To Compressor

or should I:

Output of my MIXER

To Compressor

To BBE Maximizer

?? This is for a LIVE setup for performance in a club

I don't think it matters in a club setting. Do what sounds best to you.

But I have to ask, why a maximizer? Across an entire mix for a long period of time usually drives people crazy.

Definitely compressor first.

But I have to ask, why a maximizer? Across an entire mix for a long period of time usually drives people crazy.

Umm, how so? I've used a BBE 482 in a number of live/club settings over the years and it's never generated a complaint before. Many maximizers, the 482 included, are little more than a glorified set of bass & treble controls. It's usually a set-it-and-forget-it piece in my rack - all fine and dandy so long as it set reasonably and properly to begin with.

DM

I will dig up some of the articles on the tests that have been done when I get back next weekend, but basically it adds upper level harmonics that are a type of distortion.

All of the listening tests ever done have found that when 2 identical tracks (except for one having a maximizer on it) are listened to, the one without will always be chosen.

They do make things sound better initially, it is the long term where it shows up.

Ok thanks people
So You recommend
Compressor
and then Maximizer

I plan on using a little bit of maximizer and may turn it off, play with it a little while performing live.
It is an experimental, hip hop set I will be playing

So definately it makes sence to put the maximizer last

Tim20 said:
I will dig up some of the articles on the tests that have been done when I get back next weekend, but basically it adds upper level harmonics that are a type of distortion.

All of the listening tests ever done have found that when 2 identical tracks (except for one having a maximizer on it) are listened to, the one without will always be chosen.

They do make things sound better initially, it is the long term where it shows up.

maybe this is a stupid question, but do you think this applies to the BBE Sonic Maximizer directx plugin as well?

I take it through the compressor first then maximizer. it sounds good on most of my mixes.

kuria

Back