Help choosing Studio HeadPhones

N

NauticaICE

hey guys im totally confused about which headphones to buy , id like to hear things clearly of course i really dont know much a friend recommended me
these two...

Sony MDR-7506 and Sehnheiser HD580

whats the differance between these 2, can anyone post some feed back on this plz, before i shell out 150$ plus for some good quality headphones, id like 2 h ave a lil insight thanks!

There are better things to spend money on than headphones. I wouldn't go over $100, I don't care HOW dope your setup is. For starters, it's not like you're gonna be mixing with them (which is just stupid). My suggestion - get a decent set by all means but don't go overboard...

It just so happens that the Sound On Sound magazine publication decided to run an article called "Mixing on Hedaphones", like a month after I bought mine. Check December 03 issue or http://www.sospubs.co.uk

Points to note are you using them for mixing down?, monitoring?, and or for the vocalist.

Models to choose are
Closed backed- not reccomended for long listeniing periods. Tend to sound boxy and too bassy. I have a crap pair I used for the vacalist as no sound escapes into mic.
Open Backed - reccomended for monitoring. But alot of sound will spill into the working environment.

I chose to get the Akg K240M these were the best I could get for £50 (rrp £100). I was pleased to see these were mentioned in the sos article.

Other models RECCOMENDED :
HD600, DT990, MDR7509

Yeah, that was an informative article in SOS. Unfortunately it can only be accessed on line in 6 months (unless you are a subscriber)

the thing about mixing with headphones is just dont do it. Your mixes will sound terrible no matter what brand you buy. The reason is that headphones super exaggerate your natural stereo image you would get from normal listenening. Your mixes will thus sound un-natural. What I would do is get a pair of cheap monitors instead of expensive headphones.

Micah

[url]www.legacimusic.com[/url] said:
The reason is that headphones super exaggerate your natural stereo image you would get from normal listenening. Your mixes will thus sound un-natural.
What if all the music you listen to on your computer is through headphones? Wouldn't you then know what a professionally produced stereo image sounds like through those headphones and therefore be able create a comparable stereo image in your own creations? I could understand if you always listen to music through regular speakers and then decide to do your mixing with headphones, but if headphones are all you use, how is that going to skew your perception of stereo image?

thanks man for all of your feedback on this, i greatly appreciate it. i ended up going with the AKG k240S i got it at a great deal...

www.pssl.com has it for 79.99....
everywhere else zsounds etc sells it for 99$ and the model below it.. the k240M is selling for 89$ so there u go to whom ever wants 2 pick one up! thanks again yall

also wanna add they are great im liking them already after just a day of use :)

240's are good. Used by people everywhere.

To hit on what Maximal mentioned. You can do some basic mixing on headphones, but you still need a set of monitors to keep you honest. Phase cancellation is one thing that can never be heard on head phones. The music has to mix in the real world to have that happen. Reverbs get overstated in headphones. Side to side ping pong delays can make you sick on headphones but sound quite ok on a set of speakers.

It's a human nature thing. People are used to hearing music in stereo and monitors sat at about 60 degrees off center make it sound natural. Headphones place the sound at 90 degrees off center and it doesn't have any chance for left/right to actually mix together before hitting the ears.

the thing is, 99% of musicians make music not just for themselves, but for Fans, family and friends. Unless you live in a remote area of the world where its just gonna be just you, then go ahead and mix away with headphones. But like the guy before me said there is so much that headphones miss in the "real world". For example many of us take the joy in "bumping" our music in our cars. I dont know about you but I havent heard a good mix on headphones yet that translates well to the car or anywhere else rather.

Hands down, if you want to go pro, or have a pro sound, monitors are the way to go.

I've got 3 pairs of AKG 240s, and 2 pairs of Sony MDR V6's. I use the akgs for the vocalists tracking because it has WAY less leakage than the sonys, and it is about 10 X more comfortable. The sonys are good for hearing panning, and some of the higher end frequencies. If you have sessions for over 4 hours, go with the 240s, cause they are just so damn comfortable.

-Micah

It seems like it would be a good idea to listen to a mix both through headphones and through monitors. As people have mentioned already, sometimes stereo effects that sound good through monitors are way annoying through headphones. And since so many people listen to music on headphones these days, if you want your mix to sound good on headphones, you should probably audition it on headphones too.

well
it depends what u mean by monitoring....

:)

For simply monitoring playback on, the DT100 headphones are fine and everyone should always try to see what their tune sounds like on phones at some point... but I wouldn't suggest anyone using them (or any other cans) as the referrence point to do a critical final mix down with.

DT100s are great and for long term wear they're hard to beat but I'm sure nobody would dream of switching off the Genelecs to actually mix-mix on them :)

MM

i never mix on headphones - do yourself a favor and invest in a good set of monitors. i do use the sony 7506 - its light and has a good range of frequencies to determine a rough mix if need be....i use it to DJ as well. it wasnt too expensive but its sturdy and light.

I sort of disagree

I do most of my premixes on my Sony MDR-600's. I do this because of time. If I mix at night (which is most of the time) I obviously can't blare my moniors like I want too, lest I become evicted.

With that being said it has always been a personal habit of mine to do my premix, not listen to it for about 2-3 days go back to it, fine tune the mix on my monitors and then bounce out the final file.

I find it is a nice balance between the two. Never ever do I send a mix out the door on my first go around, monitors or not. Its just a good habit

Sennheiser HD280 ($99)
Beyer 770 ($140)

They are top notch! I also have the Sony MDRV600, which are great ($90). Just make sure you get closed cans when tracking vocals. You can't use open headphones coz condensor mics will pick up leakage from the cans.

I agree with what some people have said before:

You cannot mix with headphones, only with studio monitors. Headphones are indespensibale for recording, though (coz mic will pick up the speakers, even open headphones) and tracking at night when the rest of the house is asleep.

Back