help choosing sound card, mixer, etc

ejumbo

hello everyone-

i have been trying to figure this out by reading articles and past posts, but i still can not figure out just what i need. here's what i have (or will be getting in the very near future):

AMD Athon 1.0 GHz
384 MB RAM
60g HD
crappy sound card <---want to replace
Access Virus KB
Novation Bass Station
NI Battery
Cubase 5

i want to put the remaining pieces together for as little money as possible, because i am poor. i was thinking about a M-Audio card or maybe even a STAudio C-Port, but i wasn't sure what i needed. how many inputs do i need? can i get an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and be happy? or do i need a breakout box with it to route the sound form my Virus and Bass Station?

also, is a mixing board necessary, or is it just a nice to thing to have if i have the money?

thanks for any help on this topic and anything else i might need to know. i've been a lurker on here for a long time and have always found a lot of useful info! but now i'm trying to use some hardware and things are getting confusing for me!

thanks!

elliott

Last edited:
hi fluxtah-

i'm not sure what motherboard. is there an easy way to determine this? btw, i am also running windows xp.

elliott

The 2496 is a good start...but you should also consider bumping up your memory to the most you can afford since 384mb is bare minimum to run anything anymore.

Back