Help!!! Balancing Volume from track to track

kontak80

I Moderate FP and shyt
I produce using Sonar XL 2.2, Acid Pro and T-Racks Mastering Software. I record my midi files and vocals through a mixer then going into my soundcard of my pc. My question is, according to my setup, (Synthesizer to Mixer to Sonar to T-Racks), at what echelon do you set the volume to for each track to play at the same volume? Any help would be appreciated.

err.. what?

if i think what i think what you're trying to do is right (?!!), you should set all volume levels (relatively of course) as high as possible without any clippings occuring since on the base you are working with digital audio (in sonar). ultimately, since mixdowns are gonna be coming thru sonar, volume levels in sonar should be of a higher priority than the rest of the softwares.

My basic work flow...

Recording, sampling, playing etc
Mixing the track down to a stereo Pre master.
Mastering (ruff) setting the basic volume levels to be healthy
Final mastering - creating CDs with balanced volumes.

For this final stage i don't have to do much but just try to make sure that all the tunes sound OK back to back and that I'm not gonna be leaping for the remote to turn tracks up or down.

I do this final stage in Wavelab which is superb for this stuff. The CD & montge projects are really cool for doing CDs that have a good balance between tracks. It's only at this final stage that i'd worry about the relative track volumes. The only thing to trust is your ears - since the readings on the meters are pretty useless indications of volume (obviously).

MM

Compression, Compression, Compression

This reeks of lack of proper compression. Run all of your final files through an L1 (if you have waves plugs), hardware or what ever plugin of the like. It seems like some songs vary greatly so this would solve your problems real quick like

Back