Heartbreaking

Shovel

Member of Project Mayhem
Two years of work... Two years of sweat, of planing, of all night sessions. Two years doing something I truly believed in all for nothing.

I accidently erased my songs for an upcoming album. Please folks, BACK UP YOUR WORK OFTEN! Learn from my mistake. Back it up, not once, not twice, but many times. Put it in a deposit box in a bank. Treat it like gold!

I'm seeing this as a test. I'll move on and create better music. I'll become even more dedicated now and I won't take anything for granted.

Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. I lost about 8months worth of completed projects due to a hard drive failure. I even paid a data recovery business $125 an hour to try and retrieve some of the songs but that was a no go.

It is sometimes possible to recover erased data. The FBI does it all the time. :)

Since the HD isn't trashed and if you don't write onto the drive too much the info might be there.

WOW! that just downright s*cks. I reach out to you dude.

Can I ask how did you delete 8 months of work in one shot? Did you format a drive or something?

There are file recovery programs out there. PM Guenon he posted the file recovery links in a thread here once.

Yeah, what about trying a system restore? You undo things like this by 'going back in time' with that Windows feature. Pick a date prior to when you accidently deleted your work. It should make everything right again.

Uh, then again, if you have a Mac, then I don't know. Maybe there's a similar feature there.

Last edited:
I was loading a song from disk onto my hardware sequencer and I accidently loaded the whole disk, saving over everything that was on the machine. When I realized what I had done it was too late. But I see this as a good thing, really. I'm almost relieved now that it happened, to be honest.

I recently got a computer for the purpose of music production. I figured it was time to drop my hardware only attitude and start working differently. My songs getting erased is making it easier to make that into a reality.

Here's to the future. And may these mistakes only happen once. I know I learned from this.

I have made some glitches like that here and there. Nothing that significant though. I have all my projects on a computer hard drive. ALL files i.e. mixer settings, any custom plug-in settings, associated data all gets stored in one single project folder. This way everything I need poertaining to that particualr project is in that folder and not scattered throughout the computer.

Whats good about that is if I ever needed to take the project to another studio all I would have to do is basically back-up the project to a CD and bring the CD to the other place. Of course the plug-ins wont come with the project, but I would simply use the plug-ins in the new place.

Last edited:
^ 300 tracks???

Jesus.....How long you been doing this?

If you have completed songs, I dont understand how you can lose them...If they are finished, put them on a CD and lock it up in a box...

losing An incomplete project due to a hard drive cashing out would suck...Im scared, cuz I dont even know how to back up my hard drive, though I need to get on that and learn-

Ebbiguise555 said:
^ 300 tracks???

Jesus.....How long you been doing this?

If you have completed songs, I dont understand how you can lose them...If they are finished, put them on a CD and lock it up in a box...

losing An incomplete project due to a hard drive cashing out would suck...Im scared, cuz I dont even know how to back up my hard drive, though I need to get on that and learn-

my cd rw was broke and just when i was gonna purchase a new 1 my pc wouldnt start up no more

Back