headphones check? please help.

C

choke

My friend just gave me his pair of Sony MDR-CD180 headphones, and although i've only
had them a few days, they've performed unbelievably.

My uncle and I share his computer, and he doesn't have speakers for it, so i routed the
line-out of the computer to my auxillary-in on my stereo.
Last night i was playing with Acid Loop, and i left the headphones plugged into the stereo
when i went to bed.
This morning, my uncle turned on the computer and was trying to listen to a voice mail
he'd received. Of course, he can't hear it because the sound is coming out of the headphones.
(2 feet away, i don't know how he could not have ****ing noticed)
So, anyway, he maxed the volume on my stereo so he could hear, and now i'm trying to
figure out if any damage has been done.

I don't have any analog toys to hook up, just this piece of crap computer, but at least i've
got Sound Forge. I've been trying to test out the headphones, listening for damage,
i can't tell yet. This computer skips and pops too much already.

If anyone can give me some advice -- what do check for, how to check it, etc -- i'd be very appreciative.
From what little i can tell, it seems like the richness has been decreased, although i could just be
projecting my own pessism. It also seems like the richness decreases as the volume increases,
which i'm quite sure it didn't do before.

I'm not even sure what i'm looking for -- busted wires or cones? -- and i certainly don't know the
symptoms.

(grr. i really don't know how anyone can be so goddamned dumb)

i'd really appreciate the help.
thanks.

~b

bummer, why dont you try listening to cds on your stereo with the headphones to see if they are ok. apart from the obvious blowing where they no longer work, other damage can be harder to notice. just check they still sound fine and dont crackle or have fart when bass is played through them. also check that the bass sounds are still there, most headphones i have killed from djing and studio work just end up losing the bass drum so that you just get a light hit instead. i am sure they will be ok though.
good luck

:cry: Wow that is potentially a reall unlucky situation. Take my advice - Save up a couple of hundred quid and buy the best pair of sennheiser's you can lay your hands on - and then lock them away every night and NEVER leave them plugged in !!!!! Hope that helps !!

Originally by Muzikman:
Wow that is potentially a reall unlucky situation. Take my advice - Save up a couple of hundred quid and buy the best pair of sennheiser's you can lay your hands on - and then lock them away every night and NEVER leave them plugged in !!!!! Hope that helps !!

I couldn't say better !! Poor Choke ! But I'm sure you'll survive this. :D

and by the way: Sennheiser really rocks !!!!!!!!

given that you are using a very basic system at the moment i think that most headphones will be good enough for just now, better to invest in more equipment/software first. you only need really good headphones when you are further down the line

Back