hardware filters

N

neilwight

anyone had any experiences with hardware filters (rack). i am looking for one to allow me to do a sweep type effect on a whole mix where it just eats into the frequencies starting with the highs until it goes muffled, almost like killing the EQs or tightening up a low pass filter and then bring it back out. just winding down the eq doesnt quite work right though.
most filters seem to be resonance filters and anytime i have heard them used they make the sounds through them go all weird rather than this effect. anyone know if they can be used for this? would just an analog filter be better? any ideas please or experiences

Can't you just turn down the Q (resonance) control on hardware filters? I'm sure it's possible. Obviously you'd need to switch any LFO nonsense off as well. This has to be how it works 'cos it's kind of the basis for all the rest of the weirdness you describe.

KasioRoks

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks kas,
i havent actually got a filter yet, i have been looking to buy one but havent really had much success with looking. most seem to harp on about how they can fatten up your synth or do crappy psycadelic things to sounds but i just want it to just basically do an eq type sweep for in the middle of my track. taking away most of the frequencies starting with the highs and eating right down.
i have found some rack filters that are resonance ones (which detail all the crap gimmics) and some analog filter banks which seem to work more like a parametric eq but a bit tougher. i dont want to waste my money so wanted to be sure which one would be best. i did think along the same lines as you that a resonance kind would be best as these are really for filter sweeps and if i turned the resonance right down it wouldnt add mad tones or whistes.
anyone?

I've been using an Electrix Filter Factory and it does great sweeps. There aren't too many rack mounable analogue filter modules out there, but they all basically do the same thing.

Most filters are the same thing: they allow you to eliminate certain frequencies within whatever range you decide. They are all "resonance" filters, meaning you have the option to boost the cutoff frequency. This is optional, you can decide how much resonance to use, or none at all. I rarely have my resonance higher than 25%.

You want to get a unit that has several filter types (lowpass, highpass, bandpass at least, comb and notch filters aren't so necessary). That's all you need to do filter sweeps. Of course I think almost all filter units have LFO's and midi-sync capabilities, and as you learn how a filter works, you'll probably make great use of the extra features. Most dance music makes use of lowpass and highpass for filter sweeps.

You can still find Filter Factorys for about $99 if you look hard enough. The new Sherman Filterbank is supposed to be the hottest thing right now, but they're not cheap. Akai also makes an analogue filter module, thought I don't know how good it is, or how much it costs.

If you just want bare-bones filter capabilities, look for the Electrix Filter Queen, about $79. You can't midi-sync, but it's a good analogue filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Threshold
If you have any wave editing software on your computer you can create this effect aswell.
Ssshhh, don't mention 'puters Neil doesn't like 'puters;)
KasioRoks

thanks for all the help guys. great, i will go and try to get one today. you have proved invaluable, i am fed up with charging into stores and buying the wrong thing lol

kasio, that made me laugh out loud haha, everyone now thinks i am a weirdo as i was in an internet cafe.oh well, its been a while since i laughed so hard i got tears.

thanks

Originally posted by neilwight
kasio, that made me laugh out loud haha, everyone now thinks i am a weirdo as i was in an internet cafe.oh well, its been a while since i laughed so hard i got tears.
:victory: :D
Funktastico did the same to me the other day with a comment in a thread about 'groove synths'. I looked double weird 'cos I was at work and had to pretend I was laughing at nothing!

KasioRoks

just checked out that thread, it seems to have degenerated nicely. thought i would help it along

Back