hardware effect connecting problem

S

ska_!!

good day to you !!

Does annyone know the best way to connect effect hardware (delay, equalizer ) to my pc? I want to use these to improve my samples on my pc but of course there will be (and there is ) a lot of feedback in this case because any music software amplifies the recieved signal back into the effects...

Is there a good sollution? or are there some devices where I can blend the audiosinal in ? how do pro's handle this problem?
:monkey:

thanks !!

You could route your audio out the LINE OUT, into a mixing board, send the signal to your FX (easiest way depending on the board would be to use the effects or submix send), bring the FX outputs back into the board either via effects return or even through other input channels and back into your sound card LINE IN.

BUT -- you have to be VERY CAREFUL not to monitor the LINE IN (send the LINE IN back through the LINE OUT) -- which would create the feedback loop from hell). If you have any qualms about it at all it's best not to do things this way. I've got decades of experience with audio gear and I still fried an input on a sound card a couple years ago... I just spaced out and unchecked the MUTE box on the LINE IN on the Windows Playback Mixer. And the physical pain to my ears was intense. Fortunately the only thing damaged was a $60 SBlaster Live and not my rather expensive powered monitors... oh yeah, well, my ears, too. :(

But what you really should be using are software effects plug-ins. DirectX is the plug-in standard on the PC (although if you use Cubase the plug-in format you'll probably want to use is VST. You can also use VST plug-ins with other Windows audio apps by using a VST-to-DirectX "wrapper.") There is currently no standard plug-in format on the Mac, but both VST and Pro Tools plug in formats are used by some other software apps.

The plug-ins work much like regular FX devices, usually going either in-line on a given virtual mixer channel or on a virtual buss insert.

If all this sounds like gibberish to you, check out some of these Audio / Computer Recording Resources

Back