Hard and fast rules

galacticboy

Registered Loser
Hi all, I'm new to this board but have been producing for several years now. During that time, I've learned as much as I can about producing and mastering a professional sounding track. Most of the time, mastering techniques boil down to "whatever sounds the best", but I feel like there are certain "rules" that never change. I only know of a few at the moment, but maybe you guys can help lengthen the list, as it could be of great help to all us producers. So, here goes:

1) Always pan your bass and kick in the center. Not only does it ground the track and give it the most punch, but if you ever cut your track to vinyl and the bass is off center, it can cause the needle to skip.

2) Cut everything under 20hz out. This is inaudible rumble and only messes up your track when playing around with compression and eq and mastering.

That's all I know of so far. Any others?

Don't do it underwater

Never master your track underwater..... only kidding;

Test the recording on the crappest stereo you can find and make sure it sounds well on that as well as through your studio monitors before you decide on the final take.

Listen to it while having sex.. and double check
it with different girls..

H.

Think galagticboy is realy an idiot or just doing as one.

You made funny jokes. Under 20Hz - yes i always spend much time in this range. Even i dont know one ever panned the bassline.

You know surly more than this . Start new with number 1

Back