Group Recording Mics & Mixer!!!

X

xplosve

Hi FP!! Right now I know what mic I'm getting for a solo artist and already have a mic for me to speak to the artist with, but someone had just asked me today what I would do when a GROUP of artists wants to record in the studio, and I only have 2 mics for them to record with (which are very diff. in quality). I would like your opinion on what mic I can buy that's not too expensive (not over 300) because I plan on buying five of them. I don't want any of the vocals to sound different so that's why I want 5 of the SAME mics. I don't want to end up paying over $2,000 for 5 decent sounding mics, 5 stands w/ booms, 5 mic cables, & 5 pop filters.

The second thing I need alot of help on is a mixer to go with these mics and the mic I already have. I want to have a decent mixer with 10 mic. inputs and many effects (not over $500). Thanks for your time!!

By the Way: If I had 7 mics connected to a mixer, and I had one mic pre-amp that could only take one mic, how would I hook all of the mics up to one pre-amp? Or would I have to buy 6 more pre-amps? Thanks...

Ric

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask you a couple of things before I go deep into this.

Is this only for vocals? And is this for rap vocals mainly?

Every session I've ever worked, only one or maybe two vocalists laid main tracks (verses) at the same time.

Now, group vocals (shouts, loud hooks, etc.) are a different story. But even then, I recorded the group with a single microphone and just stacked it many times.

You'll get much better quality (and the artists that come in to use your studio will be much happier with the finished product) if you get 2 excellent-but-different mics, rather than 5 of the same.

Even when I've recorded 6 guys in a row freestyling, I just used one mic, and each guy stepped up in turn. You could use 2 mics for this, so there's no drop in level when the mic changes "hands".

Invest the money saved in a good compressor instead. Once again, it'll make the final product much better. Your clients will be happier, and it'll be easier for you to mix the track when it's time for the final mix.

-Hoax

yo sleepy, this is how it is. I believe if a Rap group comes in and wants to record then they most likely won't be spittin' any of their vocals at the same time, so I will most likely use only ONE mic for rap groups. But for for R&B groups, Rock Bands, Singers, etc. this would be what I would want to use the 5 mics for. But I would also like to use them on my drum set and maybe a few other instruments, but if you know of good $300 budget mics that aren't good for instruments then that's fine. Don't worry about it, I'm mainly focusing on vocals for singers/choir from church (5 from alto, soprano, & tenor on mics, and all others in background). Hit me bak.

Doc.

Good god, man... it's been less than 2 hours!

If you're going to be recording instruments, definitely go for a good selection of different-sounding mics.

And I still stand by my opinion to get a couple of extremely good mics rather than 5 or 6 okay mics.

When I've done choir recording, I take advantage of the fact that the choir has rehearsed together and gotten their natural tonal balance correct. I use 2 mics. I try to accurately capture a real acoustical event, rather than sucking all the natural air and placement out of the recording by individually miking and then trying to recreate a natural acoustic space with digital reverb.

If you've got good performers and a good space, just record what actually happens.

Classical record labels with budgets in the thousands still record entire orchestras with 2 mics. They just use excellent mics.

My opinion: for best use of your time, make the acoustic space sound good. Invest in acoustical treatments and room design, then just capture the natural performance with a couple of mics. You'll be proud, your clients will be happy, and the recordings will sound better.

-Hoax

Last edited by a moderator:
well thanks man, I never knew an orchestra could be recorded with two mics. You think it'd be good if I got 2-3, sorry for the extra, i just feel the need for more than one. But could you recommend any mics? Thanks for the tips on sound & acoustic treatment!! Hit me bak.

Ric.

A couple of SM57's and SM58's would get you covered on the vocals and instruments that occupy higher frequencies. That's the best you can do on a strict budgets.

Stepping it up, I would recommend CAD e-200 mics if you can find them for vocals and for instruments. An e-100 would be good for kicks. The e-200 is a versatile microphone although you should try it before is possible since people tend to like them or hate them depending.

AKG mics are sold as a package also ina couple of combinations. You can do a search on those and see what you come up with.

Like other people, I would recommend different mics rather than a few of the same kind. AKG mics would give you good versatility.

As for a mixer. If you are planning to be recording different parts at the same time, then consider a 4 bus mixer at the very least. Prefferably an 8-bus mixer to have all 5 sources going into different channels. Then you'd have 3 more spare just in case you need them.

For singers I would recommend everyone singing onto the same mic if they are singing the same parts. Then doing separate tracks for individual solos.

Just record each person separataly. I've never seen a group of 5 people in the studio at once recording verses. The only time that is done is when you have a live band recording separate instrumetns and vocals. And at that time, many different mics are use.

ALso, one mic for one mic pre... unless you have a dual mic pre.

I have a question about the signal path:

Mic>>>Pre-Amp>>>Mixer>>>Soundcard

Well, I know how to get the mic into the pre amp, but how do I get the pre-amp connect to the mixer? XLR Cables? And from where, because on the Focusrite Pltnm. VoiceMaster Pro, there is only one mic input, and that would have to be where the mic would go in or maybe the mixer would have to go in there...Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just wanna fix this problem so I can know what to do when I get the 2 group mics also. Thanks...

Doc.

Back