good recording quality

hatembr

here is my question:

out of my mixer where should my sound go ? back to PC (which requires a decent sound card), a realtime CD burner (yamaha CDR1000 is great !!) or a good hard disk recorder (korg d1600 ?) ??

how do u record guyz ?

Last edited:
I record waves, I hit record in Sound Forge and play on my synth and then cut out the empty space from the beginning when recorded.

CZ

I guess I'm a "modern" producer, I don't really need midi anywhere.. :)

CZ

Ok heres a question I wanna take a guitar riff from my guitar and get it on wavlab(soundforge) how would I do this....?

I'm not sure which type of cable you need between your guitar and computer since I use synth. But basically plug it in your computer's line in and hit record in Wavelab. Make sure your soundcard understands the function "Record what you hear". Which scard u have?

CZ

Last edited by a moderator:
just a patch cord out of your amp into line in or mic on your soundcard.
You'll need a 1/4inch to 1/8inch adaptor (2 bucks at radioshack).
J

Ok cool guys, I may need more info as I am illiterate when it comes to computer ins anouts but I do know I have three sockets(Is that how you say it?) n my soundcard I know one I use for my headphones and the others no clue, I have a soundblater card

really u want some good quality cables, preferably gold plated (or the ones that are least resistance). the cable should be too long either (remember ohms law) . u want it going into the line in or preferably the mic socket.
once setup open soundforge and press record, record a few seconds of silence then do yr thing. get the soundforge noise reduction plug in, and capture a noise print of these first few seconds of 'silence'. dont over do it, try it on a few different settings, this will remoc=ve any mains hum or background noise introduced by various factors.
trust me the plug in works wonders, ive been recordeing my old tapes to mp3 and the noise reduction cleans of all the hiss, and the tunes sound clearer than they were on tape!!, but as i said u can overdo it so beware.

Soundblaster should understand the function. I'm assuming it's atleast Live!.. :) Just walk to into your nearest music shop and ask the clerk for a cable that fits the guitar and the other end to a computer. Then just plug it in and try when you hear the guitar from your headphones, you've got the cable in line in. Also, check out the recording functions in your sound card mixer, set it to "Record what u hear".

Record.jpg

CZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hatembr:::

I think all th epeopel who answered so far have recoreded with thier PCs....

If you record to a CD directly, you still have to extract the audio from teh CD to the computer to pre-maste it.. or process it at all:::so it's generlaly easier to record directly to the Computer as long as you have a decent soudn card.

AS for recordign guitar...
You have two options::::::: You can record directly into your computer:::: plug the 1/4 in jack into your guitar (the same plug you woudl use to plug into an amp).. plug the end of the 1/4 jack into an adapter that changes to 1/8th..(you will have a femal 1/4th and a male 1/8th....... 1/8 is the size of commercial headphones, or your computer speakers).... PLus the 1/8th into your sound card..Not the headphones... whicever "input you have availabe..(it iwll prolly be MIC or LINE)....

Now set your recording options on your sound card.. open your soundcard window..(click the speaker in teh corner)... be sure any recording options youw ant are on... set the level you want to record at....
**if you plugged into the MIC input, make sure any mic boosts are off on your soundcard..... **

There second way to record i sby Micing your cabnit. DOnt' do this unless you can use a nice big loud spealker setup .....
But if you can, get a good mic, and plug in the mic to the computer ( you cna leave the micboost on or off, depending on how good the mic is)... plug your guitar into teh amp for the speakers.... (like yu woudl normally).. set the mic close to the speaker.. Generally.. twards the center, mayeb alittel off to give flavor to the sound..... experiment, and see what sounds best....

ANd as always: psuh record :D

I've never seen a mixer for my soundcard not even sure where too look lol

Hmm.. your live might be an older version. Whice one is it?

CZ

Back