Good Microphone?

blitz

Hi

Basiclly this is my situation.
Im willing to spend no more then 1000 for a microphone and a compressor/mic-pre the whole works.

ive read countless review's/articles and everyone read that the focusrite voicemaster pro is perfect alongside with a Rode NT1-A.

i was just about to go for htis when i read that the Rode NTK is amazing.

now i am confused and need to have this descion before monday. i have done all the research i can do and now just looking for people's oppinions.

thank you.

for 1000 you have MANY options. The focusrite voicemaster is a very nice piece of equip, so i hear, and for the mic theres a couple different Rodes i'd recommend. The NT2000xl ive read is an amazing mic and runs around 600. The Nt2 ive read is also very nice, a step or 2 down from the nt2000xl.

I believe that you could get a Blue Dragonfly PLUS the Voicemaster for around 1000 buxx. That'll be a killer combination for vocals.

There's so many mics and pres on the marlet that its almost impossible to discuss here. The Rode NTK is certainly a good choice, though, or an AT4047. These mics are good "all-round mics". The Voicemaster is neat, but you could get a Focusrite Green used for even less, and it blows the Voicemaster right out of the water. The RNS + RNP combination is also pretty good, and you can get both housed in a funky rack panel for under $700.

What mics do you have already and what do you need it for? That's the most important questions! We can't recommend anything here unless you tell us what you are recording. Recording a flute or a kick drum are two differnt animals, so are soprano and tenor voices, for example.

Well

I have a Audio Technica AT-3035 hooked up to the Focusrite Pre supplied with Pro Tools.

So far I've yet to have any problems with it. I love the low end stability freq pickup on AT's. I haven't had alot of mid range studio mics for me to test so..... I use a alot of high end Senheissers at work but that is obviously they can't be compared because of price.

I like Audio Technica Mics personally so it all personal preference I guess. Never used a Rode but they are cheaper than the AT's, so thats something. Always test out mics in real world situations before buying a lot of places rent out studio mics (at least around here). Its worth teh money to try before you buy.

thanks guys

giganova, you got me a bit confused now in my purchases. basiclly tommorw (december 15th) i gotta make my mind what imma buy from ebay.

the Blue dragonfly mic looks killer but its going for 799 on ebay so obviouslly its out of range. Also there arent no AT4047 mic's on ebay.

I think i might just go for the Rode NT1A microphone instead of the NTK. What are your thoughts on that?

And why should i consider going for the Greenbox instead of the voicemaster pro?

Please hit me back ASAP
godbless

blitz

sorry

i forgot to mention that i am strictly recording vochals. i dont care about recording a piano or a flute or whatever. at this momment all i need a mic for is recording vochals. (hip-hop)

thanks

hey blitz --

sorry if I confused you. The thing is: there are SO many mics and preamps on the market that it usually takes a couple of weeks to get to a final decision. I understand that you don't have enought time to do more research.

Too bad there is no AT4047 on Ebay. Regarding the Dragonfly: there was an offer a while ago where you could get the bundle (mic + pre) from most dealers for a little bit over $1,000.

If I had to bid on ebay right now, I wouldn't get the NT1. Some other mics in the same price range are much better. The NT2 is something I would strongly consider (available on Ebay right now).

Look for Studio Project mics, like the C1 ($199), or an Marshall VM69 ME edition ($299; tube mic!). They are both in Ebay right now and they are rather good mics for the money. They blow the NT1 right out of the water. There's also an AT 4040 for $245 on Ebay which is a GREAT mic!!

The Voicemaster is fine, nothing to worry about. The Green or Red series are significantly better, but they are usuallty rather pricy, unless you get a good deal on Ebay.

If you get the Voicemaster and one of the mics mentioned before, you'll get GREAT results!

Here's my suggestion: if you record HipHop and have a tight budget, get the Voivemaster and one of the following mics on Ebay (in that oder):

- Rode NT2
- AT4040
- Marshall VM69 ME Edition
- Studio Projects C1

These are all fine mics for vocals. Don't forget to get a pop filter.

Good luck and let us know what you bought, ok?

Here's what *I* would get if I had to spend less than 1000 buxx for a vocal signal chain and had to order today:

http://store.yahoo.com/mercenary-audio/2rnhoinfulof.html
+
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2366354996&category=41466

or this mic, if you wanna save money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2366162885&category=15198

That'll be a killer combination!

You could still save another 100 buxx on the pre if you'd get the Voicemaster from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2580677299&category=23793

Hey Buddy

yah i did more research and i decided to go for the Rode NT1000

I didnt really like the C1 or C3 mic's, and the other's you posted i did research on and found that the nt1000 was perfect. I read plenty of review's on the microphone and everyone had nothing but good comments to say.

i was going to buy one for 299, but just before i bought it someone JUST posted their mic brand new for 220, so i bought it (buy it now feature). from my understanding that was a very, very good price. now im just waiting to get the Voicemaster Green voicemaster.

im tempted to go for the Focusrite voicemaster but for the price its going for, i dont think so..plus you said that the green one was wayy better.

what do you think?

Blitz

good choice on the NT1000, and you got a good deal on it. The Focusrite Green Voicemaster used to be $1500 when it came out a coupla years ago, but you might score on used for between 400 and 500 buxx. They don't pop up too often on Ebay, though.

Good luck!

Yeah, sounds like a good choice. Rode will probably serve you well. Friend of mine produced a #1 -hit with NT4 a couple of months back. Personally I'm using NT1A for (house)vocals and I'm more than satisfied.

yes its offical

i bought the following...

Rode NT1000

and a

Focusrite Green Voicebox

the Rode NT1000 i got for an incrediblly cheap price that ive ever seen at Ebay (buy it now) $220...total fluke too..i was just bouta buy it for 299 but then i hit search and somebody JUST posted it for 220 brand new so i hit buy it now and got it...amazing.

Then i waited an extra 3 more days past my deadline for this equiptment and waited for the final minute of the Focusrite Green Voicebox. it was at 408.01 and i put my max bid to 450 and i won the thing for 437.08.

in total canadian and shipping etc i paid roughly $980.

whats your guy's oppinion on my purchases?

blitz productions.

^^^no... no 19.99$ mic is good....

for 1000$ get the b.l.u.e. blueberry microphone... thats a great mic.... n o yea.. its 999.99$ right on 1000$

Last edited:
I'd recommend the NT-2 as well. Very good condenser mic for an affordable price (± $400).

blitz said:
yes its offical

i bought the following...

Rode NT1000

and a

Focusrite Green Voicebox

the Rode NT1000 i got for an incrediblly cheap price that ive ever seen at Ebay (buy it now) $220...total fluke too..i was just bouta buy it for 299 but then i hit search and somebody JUST posted it for 220 brand new so i hit buy it now and got it...amazing.

Then i waited an extra 3 more days past my deadline for this equiptment and waited for the final minute of the Focusrite Green Voicebox. it was at 408.01 and i put my max bid to 450 and i won the thing for 437.08.

in total canadian and shipping etc i paid roughly $980.

whats your guy's oppinion on my purchases?

blitz productions.

I dono bout the Voicebox, but I got the nt1000 and I love the bastard

Back