Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good computer for a home studio?

Thanks

Is this a good computer for a home studio?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I was told this is a good set up for a home studio pc. Is this true?

Motherboard: intel d915pbll
    Processor: p4, ht technology 3.0
    Ram: 2(512)
    Hard drive: serial ata wd 80/80
    cd/dvd writer: Lg 4021
    video card: radeon x300 pci express
    Sound: m box
    case: antec slk2600amb
    Floppy drive: Any cheap one.
    O/s: windows xp home.

If you disagree tell me why and what you would you suggest. thx.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Learner
    I was told this is a good set up for a home studio pc. Is this true?

Motherboard: intel d915pbll
    Processor: p4, ht technology 3.0
    Ram: 2(512)
    Hard drive: serial ata wd 80/80
    cd/dvd writer: Lg 4021
    video card: radeon x300 pci express
    Sound: m box
    case: antec slk2600amb
    Floppy drive: Any cheap one.
    O/s: windows xp home.

If you disagree tell me why and what you would you suggest. thx.
    for music i think.....
    Motherboard: intel d915pbll......is ok but is thier room to upgrade?
    Processor: p4, ht technology 3.0....cpu i think is good but what a AMD 64?
    Ram: 2(512).....u need more ram atless 2gb. a lot of programs can run heavyand suck the life out of ur pc
    Hard drive:ata wd 80/80.......ok but add another HD 80GB& up, so you can have one for programs and one for all ur data,wav,sample,projests,& ect....
    cd/dvd writer: Lg 4021....ok
    video card: radeon x300 pci express.....ok
    Sound: m box.....it's cool
    case: antec slk2600amb....ok
    Floppy drive: Any cheap one......why every a floppy drive?but u can use the hell out of a zip drive
    O/s: windows xp home......ok
    ..... again this is i think and what i would buy. it just comes down a great CPU, ALot of RAM,& fast HD.

Thanks
    I would go with intel over amd.....but it sounds to me like a good system (I am a certified computer technician). You definately need all the RAM possible and chi is right, you need another hard drive for OS & programs. I would get maybe 20GB for that and keep the 80GB for wavs & projects. SATA is good because of the speed, but if you haven't bought it yet, i would go with SCSI. Also, you mentioned the CPU was 3.0 with HT technology....i will explain this because most people dont know what HT is......

HT stands for Hyper Threading....currently Windows is only a 32-bit operating system. Intel and AMD have began making 64-bit hardware, only the OS will not recognize it....so they trick the OS into thinking it has 2 32-bit processors instead of 1 64-bit....this way you can still get the speed that was intended, and when the 64-bit OS comes out (I believe they are finished with the 64-bit AMD version of XP) you will be able to use it and it will work better. To make sure you HT is working, right click "My Computer" and click properties....go to "Hardware" tab and click "Device Manager". Scroll down to "Processors" and you should see 2 listed.....

If you have the money, I would get a dual xeon board and put 2 3.0Ghz HT processors in it....then you will have the equivilant of 4 3.0Ghz processors, giving you 12Ghz total!!!!!!!! Also these boards usually support up to 8GB of RAM (mine does)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    ive been building my own computers for the last 5 years and i couldnt agree more with csanders. right now athlon 64's just arent worth it.
    I play piano, guitar, drums, and trombone. I'm a regular one man band. Ask me something about computers, 90% of the time I'll have the answer.

Thanks
    A Xeon setup is too costly for the performance that it offers.

You also didn't mean that XP home edition does not support dual processors.

Hyperthreading adds to the performance in some cases but it is hardly like having 2 3ghz processors in the case of a 3 ghz P4. If this were true then there would be no need for AMD and Intel to be looking into dual-core processors.

I thought the system on the first post was not bad really. Other than the X300 being overkill. It's really an ATI 9600 XT on PCI express and slightly different clocks I think.

Thanks
    See the duplicate thread in the computers forum for some (*cough* better) responses.
    [b][url=http://home.netspeed.com.au/aistorm/]Sync˛ and Roland TR606 Mods[/url][/b]

[url=http://www.mp3.com.au/RythmEmulator/]Grab My tracks here[/url]

Thanks
    sleepy...I beg to differ..

I have a dual xeon board that I run my webserver from and it is every bit worth the money I paid....When I first got it, I took it up to the technical college near me to show it to a buddy of mine (one of the instructors) and they were ALL druelling over it!!! It has been running w/o reboot now for almost 200 days!!!!! People just generally go with AMD because they're cheaper..and from my experience, they are just that....CHEAPER...everyone on this website has been saying in every post (when you're talking about recording equipment, cheap is not the way to go) ....and I say it is NOT the way to go when choosing your computer system either!! ....ALSO, I NEVER SAID XP DID NOT SUPPORT DUAL PROCESSORS!!!! Where did you pull that out of your A$$???? I said XP does not support 64-bit processors like the Xeon so it makes it think that it has 2 32-bit and YES, it does handle as many processes as 2 32-bit processors of the same speed....TRUST ME, I'VE BEEN DOING IT!!!! Dual core processors are designed to allow faster processing without the increase power drainage and they are based off of the 64-bit technology...so with a dual core processor that is 64-bit, you will have the speed of 4 32-bit processors (not necessarily speed, but databus width...allowing twice as many processes at one time so if you're loading a webpage or just typing in word, NO, you wont see a difference....the difference comes when you're pushing the system (e.g. webhosting, recording, etc.)....here is an article from PCWorld.com

"Several chip makers are looking to dual-core designs as a way to increase the performance of next-generation processors without the constraints imposed by rising levels of power consumption in single-core processors. Two common methods of improving the performance of a single-core chip are increasing clock speed or adding cache memory, both of which require more power.

A dual-core chip is basically two separate processors on a single chip. Those two processors can outperform single-core processors on most multithreaded applications while running at lower clock speeds and consuming less power.

An application with multiple software threads will run faster on a dual-core processor because the operating system can assign an individual thread to its own processor core. Multithreaded applications running on a single-core processor must wait for one thread to finish before another thread can be processed."

Thanks
    Oh yeah, mungo, take them 10 inches out of your mouth and maybe you won't have to cough in the middle sentences.

Thanks
    I am gonna stick with the pentium chip for a bit longer.
    I dont read long posts....

Please Check Out The Links!
    my sound click page
    mikey cat sound click page

Thanks
    For audio......get a mac.

Thread Information