Is this a good beginners setup?

T

Trip Marxx

Ok,

Aight...I produce hip-hop beats....and I've been doing it with samples and FL Studio 4, however, I am purchasing hardware these next two weeks...

Here's what I plan on purchasing:

A Yamaha rm1x, a nice pair of studio monitors w/stands, and a digital audio/midi interface so I can dump and record audio straight into my computer and get nice recordings instead of running vocals of my stock computer soundcard.

Questions now arise? Would I need a mic pre-amp with the interface? And if I plan on purchasing a vocal compressor, how would I go about hooking that up? Could I run it through the interface then through the computer? Or would I need a digital recording workstation or mixer? Lastly, would a mic with a compressor on it work better for me?

I record all audio in a bedroom, probably 12 x 12 size, a typical bedroom....any better ideas of how to get that crisp sound without building a small soundproof booth?

If you can only answer one, or all questions, I would appreciate it...this will tell me for sure what equipment to aim for....

Thanks

what i dont understand is why do people build a booth and then add reeverb to it... i dunno maybe im not understanding something

Forget the RM1X, get a Roland SH-32 at that rate. You get all the great Roland kits plus a decent synth if you wanna get creative, and it's cheap.

Also look into the MPC1000 is it? The one that's just has the big old pads that you can jam on and connects via usb, more or less a midi controller. I jammed on one at a buddys house and it definantly lends itself well to the genre.

Nah.....Roland's alright, but Yamaha has the best sounds for the price....I'm still leaning that way, in hopes of one day snaggin a Yamaha Motif ES8.....

get a rs7000: it has the rm1x sequencer on it and better sounds. plus it has the same drums as the motif.
its got good efx and filters as well.

you can get one on ebay for $600-$700

I'm not sure...I've got this Sony F-V320....a dynamic mic I bought awhile back for around $40....but I would like to purchase a new one....what would you suggest in the $70-100 range?

I keep checkin out newer equipment....I first remembered wantin a Roland MC-303..than a 505..than an E-mu Px-7, then a Yamaha rm1x, now I'm looking at the Yamaha rs7000....which is the highest I will go on my budget....one question to this...

Would I need an audio/midi interface to dump this into my computer..as in an entire beat I sequence, dump into a program like soundforge to record vocals? Or could I record the vocals right onto the rs7000, and dump the entire mix into soundforge for additional tweaking and export onto a cd-r for the final product?

Please let me know....or should I stick with an rm1x? Any suggestions?

In all honesty man, thats great equipment but this is what i would go with. It'll enable you to anything want with producing and you'll be able to get some nice vocals.

-Upgrading to the newest version of FL
-Getting a decent pair of monitors
-Picking up a decent mixer
-A lower priced condenser, e.i Studio Project B3.
-Radium 61-key midi controller
-TONS AND TONS of samples
-Cool Edit Pro

You'll be able to produce all aspects of your tracks, from recording to the beat to mixing and wont have to spend a lot on equipment. Just my opinion, i know people get tired of FL and want to go the hardware route, but i think software is the way to go as far as the home studio.

Don't get me wrong....FL is good....but with hardware...I'm so much better at it and understand it more because it's so hands on...where as fruity...its clickin a mouse. I know FL is powerful, but hardware is just easier for me to understand and work with. It's just how some people are....

Back