Going Live

Nyquist

I'm planning on playing some gigs soon and could do with some advice on how best to do this. The music is sort of trip hop type stuff and the plan at the moment is to use live guitar, bass, vocals and possibly percussion with everything else (drums, synths + samples) coming off CD/minidisc. What I want to do know is: are there likely to be any problems with this set up? and will it sound right if I just export the audio from Cubase and put on CD? Is there anything I should be careful with (using fx, EQ settings etc.)?

Anyone got any advice based on their own expereince?

The music is here if you'd like to hear it:
www.mp3.com/nyquist

dont use cd's for live backing..
bass makes cds skip
minidisc should be fine.

and another tip is make sure they let you do a thorough soundcheck and that you have a say in the levels and stuff. ive been screwed several times beacuse the guy running the mixer felt my drums would sound better inaduable.....

you are also going to probably want to cut down the reverb on what you are putting to disk, beacuse of course a live situation adds ALOT of natural reverb and the reverb that sounds good on teh record is going to make things pretty muddy live.

hope i helped a little :)

Last edited by a moderator:
what about the cd players on the market with skip protection? i'm thinking of the dj systems and not the portable "on the go and in the car" variety....i don't have experience with them for backing, but i've never had one skip when in the dj booth. [shrugs]

one way to make sure that the foh and monitor engineers dont' fubar your sound is to mix it yourself....i've always mixed on stage (previously with a 16 channel mixer and when i start playing out again i'll use my 32 channel).....you can give them as much or as little to play with as you want depending on the mixer you use...

i've had enough experience to know that if you want it done right, do it yourself. but this can be problematic with some situations (aka a 100% live band probably wouldn't want a guy on stage mixing)

just my thoughts

The best thing to use for backing tracks is a DAT. You should be able to rent one from a local music store.

Maybe you also shouldn compress the whole track b4 putting on the cd if u have the chance to bring a compressor hardware on live.It may just help you to level properly the punch you wanna give to(expecially if the sound system is dodgy or you dont know how it would sounds like.

Good luck and let us know how it has gone.

MATTb

Back