Girl needs help?? Software!!

Trouble

I wanna make music on my PC and did a small audio college course on cubase vst. Cubase is what im obviously most familiar with but I find it very intricate and wanna know if there is anything simpler?? Ive been told about propeller heads apparently being easier, but with all thats available, fruityloops, soundforge I dont even know where to start? Help and advice would be wicked!! cheers!!

reason is great and easier in my opinion but I would stay with cubase, you can get much better sounding results and it will be worth it

use reason rewired through cubase, then you get twice the benefits :) :) :) :)

don't confuse him :)

if you are used to Cubase, then get yourself Cubase SL (cheap and good) and download a bunch of freeware VSTi synthesizers and effects...

Then you can consider buying a couple of high-end VSTi devices such as KONTAKT and PRO-52... So you have a decent synthesizer and a sampler.

Voila :)

Reason would be easier if you didnt know CUbase... but if you know Cubase there is no reason to use the other.... or even both (!)

Good luck

Mano me love you just confused me even more (im a girl hun ,you know me from the lyric forum, or atleast you should!!)

Like I said I find cubase a wee bit intricate, suppose I need more patience eh??:rolleyes: :)

well i would say that every pro level progam is intrincate even reason can get quite complex, but you can get those cubase instructional cd roms to help you and make things easier for you link

You my man , are a star!! I got VST ...any significant difference between that and SX , or am i just being thick?? You can tell I aint had access for a while cant ya!!

check out cool edit pro(i think there is a free ir trial version) ....i have heard good things. cubase isn't all that anyway- plus using a simpler program to start will enable you to learn and apply that knoweledge back over to cubase too.:cheers:

yes cool edit is nice but it is a multitrack audio editor without midi right ? or you have midi too ? last time I used a windows pc ( i still wake up in the middle of the night crying ;) ) it didnt have any midi features...

trouble,
sx is cubase vst's new version, from what I've read it features some major enhancements both in the interface and its code but I hear its pretty much the same operation wise, but I'm not a cubase user so don't take my word for it....
too bad there's no digital performer for windows, its one of the easiest most intuitive programs out there, i'm sure you would love it ...

music?

hey girl, can you tell what kind of music would you like to produce? i think that is very important.

If you are going to produce multitrack recording music (like you need to record, bass, guitar, voice, keyboards, etc then mix them, add effects, etc. you can use Cakewalk Sonar for that, also you will need a good wave (or sound) editor such as Wavelab. With those 2 you can record anything and add any effect you want to any track (vst,Dx,etc)

If you like to do loop based music, electronica, trance, techno, experimental, hip hop, drum and bass, etc. i would recommend sonic foundry ACID PRO 4.0, it can work with midi (in a basic level) VTSi, DXi (virtual instruents) DX effects, etc. Its really easy to use, easy to loop sounds, arrenge them, pitch them, record guitars, voices, etc., this is what i use, i also use wavelab for the editing and VST effects processing (acid doesnot work with VST effects, just VSTinstruments).

The easiest way to start if you dont know anything is using REASON, Fruityloops and ACID 4.0 and Wavelab, this 4 will do the work.

make your sounds on reason and fruity, edit them in WaveLab and mix, arrenge, compose, destroy, reinvent, f++ck up, in ACID

If you are short on money, get ACID 4.0, and use demos or whatever to produce your sounds... If you are totally new new new start with fruityloops, then you will know when you need another program such as ACID

you can check my work on (experimental)

www.mp3.com/phono_ve

and my band's on (tri-hop)

www.mp3.com/unaburbuja

all this was made with lots of stuff but recorded and mixed only with ACID 4.0 and VST and DX plugins (such as WAVES plugins)

hope this helps

Carlos

hey trouble.... i agree with continuing to use cubase...what i suggest is that you go to your local studio, and ask them if you can pay them £30 or something to sit in and watch how they use cubase.... if you cant do that just play with wav files bend them stretch them learn what cubase can do on your comp and what it can't do...
just trial and error love!!!!

peace

true-cool edit pro is audio only. great for loop based recording/sampling. i would hang in there with cubase for now. practice practice. i use digital performer and LOVE it- easy to learn the basics but i still have a lot to learn-which is why i like DP too.....it has so many features i learn a new trick every time i work on something.

Trouble-maybe check around locally for a class or a free seminar- i went to one for cubase at a Guitar Center once. thats when i decided to get a mac and screw the idea of a cheaper windows machine. but it could help for you......check out berklee books- www.berkleepress.com/ they have many musical reference books and digital audio instruction books & even DVD"S . maybe that could help. :hello:

Thanks very much for the advice!! I did do a beginners course in cubase at the local music college , but that was some time ago and due to presonal reasons have had no access since , also I didnt really find it beginner friendly....

I have plenty to work on now though, so thanks again.... I wanna make drum and bass and hip hop for he who asked!! :D

i have heard great things about ACID PRO too- esp. if you are into D&B.

Back