GIK Acoustic & Monitor Set Up

mysteriomagic

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hey, all, I have a couple of questions for those of you "in the know"... The ceiling height is about 14 feet - concrete ceiling - concrete floors. Drywall around a room about 14' by 7'

1) Where is the best place to put acoustic panels (behind the monitors? - if so... how far?) (I have one panel hanging up behind my monitors right now... - I have another to the right of the room away from the one window.

2) What about bass traps?

- I have a fairly small room and centering my monitors from the corners would be difficult. Right now they are equidistant on the workstation I have.

3) I have my monitors running thru my mixer (standard dj mixer) where I have my other sources running into like my mac with MOTU, tape deck, turntable, dvd, etc. Should I use the EQ on the mixer or just leave it off?

My basic thing is just to record music from vinyl, make beats from my asr-10, midi with logic pro to make more abstract music. I am putting a decent amount of money into making a home studio just for my own pleasure. I don't have plans to get anything pressed up on cd but would like to maximize my abilities in the home environment.

Hope this makes sense and any help would be appreciated.
[/FONT]

You should really use the search function. This stuff is covered so often I'd be surprised if it wasn't stickied somewhere.

Bass / broadband traps - LOTS of them. Don't worry about "foam panels" - They aren't going to do you much good in that room - Especially with those dimensions. Search for the .38 rule on placement.

Back