The genius and its home studio

balma

Some of the best producers ever on its sanctuaries (IMHO)

Frank van Bogaert
frankvanbogaertstudio.jpg

Alan Parson, mid eighties
alanparsonsproject80s.jpg

Michael Stearn mid 80ies

michaelstearnsmid80s.jpg

Yes!Jean Michel Jarre
jeanmicheljarre90s2.jpg

Jean Michel Jarre recording OXYGEN
jeanmicheljarrestudio1976.jpg

Brian Eno.
brianenostudio90s.jpg

setups like those are inspiring in themselves. if you ever feel uninspired all you have to do is look around at all of your cool gear!

Engenerator said:
setups like those are inspiring in themselves. if you ever feel uninspired all you have to do is look around at all of your cool gear!

Very very very inspiring.

How he could focus composing with one of those noisy telephones so close?

And Brian Eno's studio seems very simple. He must really knows how to use the DX7 (I think Eno's keyboards on "Where the Streets have no name" intro is the DX7) cause he has two of them.
Maybe that's the studio that he has on the bathroom....:p

well, if you look to all those gifted guys, maybe the most important thing is not to have a huge building full of all variety of keyboards, but to feel comfortable at composition time.
In fact, my bedroom now looks pretty similar to one of those home studios.

Only difference is that my bedroom has a trash mountain (all kind of useless cables, disketes on the floor, weed seeds everywhere, and maybe four dozens of empty beer cans )

martin_l.jpg

balma said:
the most important thing is not to have a huge building full of all variety of keyboards, but to feel comfortable at composition time. [/img]

I agree 100%

it´s better to have just a few synths and know them really well, than to have lts of them but hardly know how to use them.
I know a guy who has a JP8000, a NL2, an andromeda, juno 106, and two or three more other synth, but he doesn´t know how to use midi...
****, that´s SAD !!
you´re not gonna tell me he knows how to work with his synths if you don´t even know midi... (and it´s not even complicated midistuff or so, no no no, just hooking the cables from midi in to midi out, making a basic midi chain so he can control all synths from one set of keys)

balma said:
In fact, my bedroom now looks pretty similar to one of those home studios.

Only difference is that my bedroom has a trash mountain (all kind of useless cables, disketes on the floor, weed seeds everywhere, and maybe four dozens of empty beer cans )

Wow Balma!
It seems like we have the same setup!:D

Hades said:
it´s better to have just a few synths and know them really well

Yes!

I've read many times big names who made big hits saying how they had 1 synth, 1 sampler (etc) and were fine!

Recently someone big like that (Cant remember the name) said that their KORG MS-10 was everything they needed to do all their sounds - because they knew this one machine to death.

Another one I remember, Mr Oizo (remember "Flat Beat" with Levi's jeans, the little puppet?), I read somewhere that he only had a KORG MS-20 synthesizer, an AKAI S1000, and a Roland TR-606... Pretty inspiring seeing the result - it's all up to how much talent and perseverence the artist/producer has in him/herself.

These kinds of setups with 5 different components or less let you work FAST on stuff, IMHO. These days I am going towards this type of setup.

It can be challenging, but challenges are fun.

I have 1 year giving "classes" to a friend of mine. he's 20 years old, and its family is plenty of money.
His father bought him a Phantom and a huge BOSE stereo equipment, plus a MC 307.
He tried the first days, and then, put them under them during 8 months.
I'm an ignorant person, but I gave him clases, just trying to inspire on him enthusiasm, and proud for doing something well on this life. Something that you can apply to anything. Inspire perseverance and above all the things: PATIENCE. All the things done with true love and dedication will give results, to forget about useless worries and focus on a personal inner work. I just put some gasoline on the tank, tried to show him a way to follow.
that was all, and the guy is so enthusiastic, he don't need any help anymore.

When I see this, I feel bad because I never had money to get a gear like he bought, I grew on pooverty. But whe I got my first synth, I used it so much during 3 years that it died. Also for the next one, the cover of the synth lost all the paint for overuse. First time I had more than 1 synth was on 1999.

Today I have a real decent gear, it costs me part of my life, but when I didn't have it, I blamed the gear for the defects of my music.
Now I realize that everything, the core of all, it's not on the gear, not on the last model. The best piece of gear is inside you, always have been there, and without that inner gear, your studio will be like that Jarre's studio but without electricity.

Back