Gear you were most disappointed with - why?

P

PaulyV

Hi again, hope you are all well.

Here's a question.

What gear that you bought were you most disappointed, or unimpressed with when you got it back and had used it for a while.

And the flipside - what gear most surprised you after time, and why?

Mine?

Oddly enough I was not very impressed with the Roland MKS-80 Super Jupiter I had for a while - I just couldn't relate to it as a great sound. I loooove my MKS-70 though - perhaps I am a DCO guy!

I really got alot out of my Casio VZ-1 after many years of getting to know it.

best wishes

Pauly

I have been most impressed with the Roland MV-8000. It has all you could want in a sampler/sequencer.

I was least impressed with the Korg Triton Classic. I hated the sequencer, I hated the thin and wimpy sound, and I hated the structure of the combi's and programs...What a piece of crap in my opinion. I hated the touch screen as well. I mean, you had to clean it all the time or you could only see fingerprints if a light was on in the room...

least impressed by gemini bd10 turntable.

most impressed by mixer behringer 1202

I created a loop by routing the mixer into the sound card inserts, the sound card back into the mixer and the mixer to the monitors to allow me to add more inputs like my guitar, turntable, tapedeck, vcr, mic, and whatever else I feel like recording or sampling from.

one.

biggest dissapointments:

* Roland MC-303 Groovebox: cute toy, great for first steps into electronic music production, but serious production gear ? naaaah...
* Novation BassStation: bought as a TB-303 clone (like the advertisements said); TB-clone ? even not with the biggest imagination... (and then I got my real TB and I sold the BassStation...)
* Novation Supernova II R: bought - after long time of choosing - instead of a Virus B; biggest (and expensive :mad: ) synth mistake I ever made

biggest surprises:

* my great vintage synths of course (like a.o. MOOG Memorymoog L.A.M.M. and Elka Synthex) - 'though that were not really surprises - I expected they would be that good
* Roland JP-8080; bought with big expectations, after having a few months very dissapointed as I couldn't get the sounds I was looking for (my JP was even for sale during a few months), but finally I achieved ± the supersaw sounds I wanted and I'd never sell my JP again...

THM said:
biggest dissapointments:

* Roland MC-303 Groovebox: cute toy, great for first steps into electronic music production, but serious production gear ? naaaah...
* Novation BassStation: bought as a TB-303 clone (like the advertisements said); TB-clone ? even not with the biggest imagination... (and then I got my real TB and I sold the BassStation...)
* Novation Supernova II R: bought - after long time of choosing - instead of a Virus B; biggest synth mistake I ever made

biggest surprises:

* my great vintage synths of course (like a.o. MOOG Memorymoog L.A.M.M. and Elka Synthex) - 'though that were not really surprises - I expected they would be that good
* Roland JP-8080; bought with big expectations, after having a few months very dissapointed as I couldn't get the sounds I was looking for (my JP was even for sale during a few months), but finally I achieved ± the supersaw sounds I wanted and I'd never sell my JP again...

thats really really confusing.
anyways.

Love:
Mackie HR 824's - You can hear everything, and I mean EVERYTHIGN perfeclty wiht these

Don't Love:
I bought a 8 U rack holder that I had on my desk but its bulky so now im trying to get rid of it.

Jos

Biggest surprise: Oberheim OB-12. The pre-sets sound like .... (what programmers do they have??), but once you start tweaking the knobs you have one of the best analog synths.

Biggest disappointment: Korg electribe series. Sounds like gui artificial plastic! The interface, however, is unbeatable -- so simple and so fast to get creative.

Lately, I am very impressed by the VST synths. If there weren't such a CPU hog, I'd stuck my computer full. But for now, I need my CPU for track counts and VST effects. As soon as I have an effects processing board (like the UAD), I'll get more VST synth.

Biggest dissapointment:

Roland MC-505... I had screwed around with a friend's 307 and made my first move into owning gear by assuming the 505 would be better based only on the number value and the pricetag... I'm a fan of the MC series (including the 307, which I bought after returning the 505), but the 505 doesn't do anything for me.

Most impressed:

....Still waiting to be blown away by one of my own purchases. I like my gear, but it seems that after the initial "yay I finally own it, I can do this and this and.... " feeling it gone, I start to see where the shortcomings are and start taking it for granted.

Biggest letdown:
Red Sound DarkStar XP2. I bought it as a cheapo-synth, and expected (from reading user reviews) the interface to be somewhat cumbersome, but I didn't expect it to be unusable...call me stupid, but it seems the interface simple defies any laws of logic. The sounds can be made nice, but it's highly probable that the user's nerves short circuit before anything usable comes out of it. I have a Korg EX 800 (basically a desktop version of the Poly 800), and I always thought it had the clumsiest interface ever...until this. The EX 800 is a f*cking shiny diamond of usability design compared to the DarkStar

Anyone want a cheap VA? :)

Best buy
Yamaha A3000 sampler. I bought it off a friend, and didn't really know at the time that I needed a hardware sampler. Now I know. 'Nuff said.

I forgot to mention the one I really liked above all - the Waldorf Pulse.

What a find that was - picked up for £150 in London, and really miss it - nice fat, rich sound.

best

Pauly

biggest dissapointment:
rs7000... it's just not that what i thought, at the time I bought it.... best buy... triton studio and SN II R... they rock

cheers
rich

akai s20

this was my frist sampler i bought on my own and it was my fault, i didnt really know what they did and how to use (though I knew how to use the s20, I didnt know HOW to use it). I was young - 16.

Jos said:

lol, I though you put something negative in your postive part but like I said. I can't read... everything you wrote was good. :)

Jos
Ah OK - cheers bro' !! :cheers:

Back