Future Studio

Cyko

this is th setup im plaining on getting this month

Monitors:Roland Ds 50a Monitors

Mics:Behringer b2.. Studio Projects B3, At 4035

Computer: Mac Dual 1.25ghz G4

Software: Dp4,Reason 2.5,all the plugins that that are compatible with Dp4 (good ones that is)

Preamp: Joe Meek VC6Q

Sample CD's

Midi: Akai Mpd16, Radium 61

Soundcard: Delta 1010

Mixer: 12 channel Behringer (just to kill latency

Rack holder

Mic Stand and Pop filter

Cables: 6 feet of Hosa Snakes s/pdif cables.. and Blue berry Mic cable

Booth: i have some Movers blankets was thinking of hanging them in a Square formation or something.. if ya have inexpensive ideas let me know..

that sound like a decent Setup? if ya rec anything thing or have any advice let me know

Cyko said:
Software: Dp4,Reason 2.5,all the plugins that that are compatible with Dp4 (good ones that is)

that sound like a decent Setup? if ya rec anything thing or have any advice let me know

Be careful getting into the DP boat right now if you plan on running on OS X (Which DP 4 requires). Hit up sites like unicornation and various other online hotspots for sequencers...

MOTU's dropped the ball on DP 4. It's got loads of little bugs and problems, even to this day a year later... and what's worse is their communication with their customers has been essentially nonexistent on the issues that have come up. Just long stretches of silence then a small patch... It's ugly.

Cubase SX 2 is supposed to be real nice. Logic is, of course, a phenomenal tool... but it puts a lot of people off. ProTools LE is nice if you don't need tons of tracks as it limits you to 32 audio and 256 midi. I'd check out these other options before settling on DP.

Otherwise, I'd suggest putting out a few bucks for a nicer mixer than the behringer.

Cheers! :cheers:

I'd also change the mixer as the Behringer has a high noise floor.
Check out the Folio or Notepad or the Mackie 1202 or 1604 VLZ Pro and ditch the preamp as the Mackie has the best sub grand pres around on any mixer and you get 16 0f them, drive your turntables, mics etc.. thru them. Worth the investment in the long run.

So your saying the preamps on the Mackie are better Quality that that Joe meek VC6Q preamp? i've tried the Mackie pre's and to me they dont sound as good as that VC6Q... also the Behringer Mixer is just for routing and Killing latency besides that Mixer wont even be used... any other Advice..especially on the booth.

A couple quickies: Pro Tools LE only runs on Digi hardware so you'd have to get an Mbox, Digi 001, 002, or, heh heh, a PT HD system.

I guess you're just using the Behringer mixer for monitoring? You can't beat them on price, of course, but if you ever have to use the mixer for critical use you might be happier with a Mackie or other mixer.

With re the Mackie mic preamps... they're very clean. But that isn't always what folks want, and that's why a lot of folks end up with one or more botique preamps (particularly tube but not always). Having both a mixer full of clean, flat pre's and one or two channels of warm, colored preamp sounds can be the best of both worlds.

(That's what I have... a Mackie SR24-4 -- way more channels than I need these days but I bought it when I was running a pair of ADATs for 8/8 i/o -- and a couple of one and two channel pres [all cheap], an ART Tube PAC (tube hybrid), a Joe Meek VC3 (FETs instead of tubes), and a Bellari/Rolls stereo tube pre. But once I settled into only recording myself I started mostly using my Event NT1 into the ART Tube PAC. Still, I have a lot flexibility. When I recorded a classical guitarist a while back I pulled out my CAD Equitek II and ran it into the Rolls for a fat, pretty flat, but still warm sound.)

in regards to the DP4 issue, i haven't had any problems. every once in a great while, i'll be running too many programs and when i open up DP4, it'll crash. that's it, though. i've never had a problem with it in OS X (i'm using panther now, too) while i was using the program itself. i have heard of some people with problems, but its selective. head over to www.osxaudio.com and check those boards for MAC related audio questions. those guys are pretty big on Logic6.

anyone else have advice on a Sound booth i have no closet my Sepup will be in a Den.. anyone at all?

Back