Floating a floor DIY, Any tips???

J

jaymalls

I want to float my basement studio floor but dont know where to start. I have tile on the floor right now (Came like that!). Im going to re-level it by nex week, then imma try 2 float it. I heard you should use hockey pucks but how??? Can i get some feedback? Thanks in advance people!

Google will probably help you out more than FPers. That's a pretty professional project you're trying to tackle. I'd suggest finding a contractor that specializes in acoustics. I've never heard Hockey pucks? Sounds so wierd that it probably works, lol.

You're doing the Walls too? You can probably get it all done at once for a good deal. With the economy, you can contract someone for cheap, just make sure they specialize in acoustics.

Obitheincredible said:
hockey pucks, 2 by 4s floorig on top of that.

wouldnt the 2/4's slip off or something... it seems so weird... lol! Imma try though, thanx!!!

jaymalls said:
I want to float my basement studio floor but dont know where to start. I have tile on the floor right now (Came like that!). Im going to re-level it by nex week, then imma try 2 float it. I heard you should use hockey pucks but how??? Can i get some feedback? Thanks in advance people!

Man, are you sure you want to do this? It doesn't seem like you have a lot of construction experience, and floating a floor (or any other sound proofing measure) is complex stuff. For example, if you go on with your plan as-is, you're going to create a reverberant space underneath the floor. You don't want that.

If you really must try it, then go over to John Sayers' forum and do a search over there. You'll probably come up with a bunch of great suggestions and plans.

Frank

hockey pucks? thats a new one, but kinda makes sense.

and i agree with derranged, economy is so shot, that peeps are working for peanuts. im about to get all new windows, for $150 a piece, for the window and install!!!!

but floating a floor would be the hardest part of your porject

yep. I have heard they are good for placing under monitors too like ghetto mopads! That and cinder blocks for monitor stands! increased bass. I use the cement blocks but I have mopads!

i can see why pucks would work though, BRILLIANT!!!

i would guess theirs a lot of ways to construct a floating floor

I agree with Frank. 9 times out of 10 floating your floor (especially in a home studio) is not recommended. Especially when you are in a basement with a cement floor which has minimal sound transmission in the first place. You could be sinking your money into more important stuff... like that extra layer of sheetrock or some extra rockwool.

check this out http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8173

rabblerouser said:
I agree with Frank. 9 times out of 10 floating your floor (especially in a home studio) is not recommended. Especially when you are in a basement with a cement floor which has minimal sound transmission in the first place. You could be sinking your money into more important stuff... like that extra layer of sheetrock or some extra rockwool.

check this out http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8173

Smart post...I agree that your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Frank

Back