Thread: flattening response on passive monitors?

Thanks

flattening response on passive monitors?

Sign in to disable this ad
    i have inherited a nice system from my mum and i know the speakers are capable of a lot but i was wondering what eq i should get (preferably off ebay) to help balance the response? or is it a waste of time and money... and please tell me a place where i could learn how to flatten response if you think eq is necessary in the forst place... thanks...
    be what you speak man, never speak on what you be.
    - someone off anticon
    all i know is that i know nothing.
    - socrates

Thanks
    depends what u mean by a "nice system" do you just mean a set of good hifi speakers or actual studio monitors?

The two are not built for the same purpose. Essentially monitors are built for accuracy and hifi speakers are built to sounds as "good" as possible. The flattery that many hifi speakers offer will lead to lousy mixes.

For more details on hifi speakers vs studio monitors read this article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul0...801f1f7aff4271

MM

Thanks
    they are psb 300's with a denon amp, good connections and everything... i emailed psb and they said that the 300's were designed for a close to flat response... i was wondering which side of the amp i would put an eq on, pre or post?
    - someone off anticon
    - socrates

Thanks
    white instruments 4220 is a nice studio quality passive eq -- passive eq will help to provide a truly flat response...

Thanks
    If you are using this system to just listen to music and want to flatten it out with EQ then that is fine but you should NEVER use EQ to flatten out response when trying to mix. It just won't work. The room needs to be acoustically treated in that respect.

Thanks
    ok... so what kind of active monitors should i look into? good quality for the price...anything from behringer truths, m- audio mx8 or mx5, event 20/ 20, or mackie hr824... money is not as much of a problem cuz i would rather save up for good sh*t than buy crap a few times then finally get mediocre monitors
    - someone off anticon
    - socrates

Thanks
    Originally posted by minus
    ok... so what kind of active monitors should i look into? good quality for the price...anything from behringer truths, m- audio mx8 or mx5, event 20/ 20, or mackie hr824... money is not as much of a problem cuz i would rather save up for good sh*t than buy crap a few times then finally get mediocre monitors
    Each of these mosnitors is a good choice. Just go to a good usic store and listen to them! I personally have the BX8 and like them.

Thanks
    Originally posted by minus
    they are psb 300's with a denon amp, good connections and everything... i emailed psb and they said that the 300's were designed for a close to flat response... i was wondering which side of the amp i would put an eq on, pre or post?
    You dont have to get monitors. Those speakers are flat and denon makes dope amps. And trust me i know, my dad is a audiophile and works in a very high end stereo shop.
    A lot of hi fi speakers are better then monitors and I know a lot of people who have home studios who are using hi fi speakers.
    Unknown Phate Productions

Thanks
    oh, and you wont need a eq.
    Unknown Phate Productions

Thread Information