Thread: Firewire 410 - Iíve gone crazy!

Thanks

Firewire 410 - Iíve gone crazy!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Guys,

I've gone crazy! I've just bought a Rode NT3 mic to replace my old dynamic mic, and suddenly realised I wasn't going to get anywhere with my old SB Live! So I bought an M-audio Firewire 410 too (instead of the Audiophile 2496 I was considering)!!

There are lots of good and bad comments on the Firewire 410 online, notably here: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/pr...view--MDOFW410 - worth reading...

I work mainly in MIDI, using VST instruments + audio files to 'embellish'. The only thing I record outside the PC are my vocals.

I haven't yet unpacked either the mic or the Firewire 410, so I can change the latter if necessary. Any comments would be welcome. Have I done the right thing?

John.

My setup:-
    PC, not MAC, no laptop
    Cubase VST 5.1
    WinXP Pro
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1.83 GHz)
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
    1.00 GB of RAM
    200 GB HD
    SB Live!
    What counts is not just what you've written, but what you're *going* to write!

[url]www.songland.com[/url]

Thanks
    I was one of the first people to get an M-Audio Firewire 410.

The drivers were a pain-in-the-ass to install, the included installer just didn't work correctly ... period.

I was able to install the drivers using all kinds of little tricks I know of, and it has performed flawlessly ever since.

I recently removed the original drivers, and installed the latest version using M-Audio's installer ... no probs this time.

I am using a Centrino-based PC laptop. I hear from reliable sources that it can be a biotch to get working on some Macs.

The sound quality is excellent, IMHO. I regularly take it into studios with higher-end products, (ala MOTU 828Mk2) and it stand up quite well. Very clean, crisp sound. No sense of "harshness" or strange digital artifacts.

I use the 410 w/ Reason, Tracktion, Ableton Live, ACID PRO and Brainspawn Forte ... not problems with any of these programs so far.

Thanks
    When you only talk of adding a single vocal track and don't have an external mixer... why did you pay out for an interface with 4 ins and 10 out?!??!

Strange choice. IMHO.

MM

Thanks
    MM,

I said I was crazy! You're right - it was an error. In the shop, when I suggested buying an Audiophile 2496, the guy said that PCI was on the way out, and Firewire on the way in. He *wasn't* pushing hard to sell, by the way, but I bought it!

Back to Square One. I'll take it back & get the Audiophile 2496. He told me that this doesn't have an earphones output connexion, but I find that hard to believe. Do you know? Also, could you guys (or anyone else) suggest a not-too-expensive-but-suitable preamp for my setup? (I'll have the Rode NT3 + the Audiophile 2496).

dansgold,

Thanks for your valuable input too.

I should mention that I actually have no need to be mobile - I record at home, and that's it. Having read reviews about USB sound cards, I knew they were not for me. Apparently, the situation is the same with Firewire.

HB10.

Thanks
    with the m-audio 410 you have the room to grow if need be,i would stick with it you wont be sorry,the 410 rocks

Thanks
    Just to close out this post, I've got the Rode NT3 all set up & working great! I've stayed with the SB Live! for now 'cos I just can't decide what to upgrade to, so I'm using it battery-powered with the SB Live!, and it's fine. I'm seriously considering the Terratec EWX2496. There is also an article at http://www.computermusic.co.uk/revie...c/terratec.asp that is very positive on this card.

Now I've got a condenser mic in my hot little hands, I've been able to appreciate its sensitivity. This was a wise move, and will be even better when I get a better soundcard.

The M-audio Firewire 410 has gone back to the shop - I'm not convinced it was what I really should have, in view of my limited needs.

Thanks for all your help, Folks. I'll probably post again when I definitely decide it's time to replace the SB Live! (a.s.a.p.).

John.
    What counts is not just what you've written, but what you're *going* to write!

[url]www.songland.com[/url]

Thread Information