Final Out Put Sound

S

sketch

hello,
I'm using a software sequencer by Cakewalk, and when I record music from my sound module,drum machine, and/or sampler...the sound that comes out of the speakers during play back is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what I hear once the music is burned to CD's.
Here is what im doing...
For recording:All my instrument's audio out puts are running to a mixer. The mixers main output's are then routed to my USB audio Interface.
During Play back: the audio tracks that were recorded, play back on my sequencer out to regular speakers via sound card. After I'm finished with a song, I'll burn it on Cd then listen on a stereo and every time...I notice that the sound quality is much lower then when i hear the song directly from the sequencer. What should i do?
Thanks

If I'm right....do you have a sampler that's sampling at 24-bit maybe? Because when you burn it down to a cd, it is in 16-bit format. That might be the reason why the sound seems a bit lower quality....

The track is 44.1kHz/16bit *.wav before you burn it on a cd, right? You listen to that *.wav before you burn it on a cd, right? (Cause there's no point burning a straight export to a cd, without listening to it first). And does it sound good on your producing speakers? It must, cause otherwise you wouldn't be burning that on a cd, right?

Then it can only be about your stereos being bad.

Im running the audio from my instruments through a mixer first, then to a separate subwoofer unit, and then out to some active speakers... do you guys think i need a better monitering system in the studio. How do the sound waves travel in your systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sketch, this is a very common problem and one you must not get panicky over pal. The monitors in any environment give a representation of the sound ,taking into account the environment(acosutics), the placement and configuration of the monitors and finally how well thay act as a reference in regards to the signal flow( applying bass rolloffs to subs and hi cuts on the main monitors).
A good test is to listen to your mix on cans straight from the output stage, that way you can gauge if the monitors are colouring the sound or if what you hear is actually what you mixed.

Another point to take into account is that when audio is burnt onto a cd there is a function called audio correction and different burners have different audio correction characteristics. Try a different burner. We tend to use Plextor burners as they seem to work well with audio. But remember, this is a last resort and the real problem as I see it is about how well your monitors are referencing the audio. Sort this out and what you hear on your monitors is what gets recorded.

Sounds to me like the common Mastering task of ensuring the track sounds good on a variety of playback devices.

From what I have read, and have been putting into practice, it that it is a necessity to sometimes burn multiple copies of your track, and test it out in different systems.

Most people who would be listening to your created tracks wouldn't be using studio monitors, so it is a whole new task on its own to ensure reasonable playback on all devices (keeping in mind that most folks don't not adjust EQ on their listening devices).

Most of what I have read, is that if you intend your track to be released commercially, it is worth the investment to have it mastered professionally. Especially if the track is going to vinyl (I've heard that poorly mastered vinyl tracks can even cause the needle to jump).

However, as a DIY'r, I like to attempt mastering using Wavelab. Usually to compress the mix, and adjust the EQ to remove any potential problems.

I think www.artistpro.com publishes some books on Mastering.

thanks for all your replies...
re- SAMPLECRAZE... what do you meen listening to my mix on "CANS" straight from the output. what are cans?

hey always get a good headphone mix......make sure it sounds good to the ears thru earphones first. thats what i always do.

Back