a few questions

R

red_spyda

Here's my situation. I rap, and I think I'm musically gifted, so I want to get into producing(in hip-hop terms), and gradually upgrade my current setup. Right now I have a audiobuddy mic pre, a e-mu 0404 sound card and a mxl 990 mic w/ a pop filter, and i'm really surprised by the crality of the sound i've achieved with this relatively cheap setup. Anyways, first i'm looking into getting some monitors - i've herd good things about these ones http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--EVETR5
Would i need any additional amplifiers or anything to get them working?(which I found out with the mic;p) Any other monitors(in that price range) you would suggest? The next step for me would be to get a better mic. I'm looking for one that would enable me to get the best sound that I can through my audiobuddy(since I've herd that even if you get a neumann and run it to a crappy mic pre it's gonna sound like crap). After those 2 I'll be looking into some production boards. From the research I've done I think that the Roland MV8000 has the most bang for the buck. I'm also looking into the AKAI seres (1000 or 2000xl). I'm also looking into a motif es6 for a keyboard. I imagine if I acquired all that equipment I'd also need a mixer. I've herd a used mackie from ebay is a good way to go. After that I would also be looking into purchasing a laptop, since I find it to be the way to go for recording, but the laptop would be in the faaaar future. Through my set-up I would want to be able to make instrumentals without using a computer, since I find the mouse-approach really creatively-depriving, then use a computer to lay down the vocals. As you see i'm trying to map everything out I need and acquire them all one by one, since I won't be able to get everything at once. Well that's my questions. I would appreciate any recommendations, pointers, feedback you may give me.

tx in advance,
gz

heres my suggestions:

monitors: krk rokit 5's
i A/B'd these with the event 5's and other monitors in the $300-350 range today at guitar center and liked these the best. no you wont need an amp for these or the events.

mic: rode nt1a
a/b'd this, a groove tubes mic (i dont remember the model), and the mxl 990. liked this one best.

mixer: mackie 1202 vlz-pro
great little mixer. one of my friends got one about a week ago and we havent found anything wrong with it. the preamps are pretty good too.

computer: p4 3.0 or athlon xp 3000 desktop pc
stay away from a laptop unless you absolutely need portability. youll end up paying more for less of a computer too. make sure you get 2 hard drives, 1 gig of ram and a fairly decent vid card (something like a geforce 3 or 4).

thanks for your input hollip
i'll be movin back to my native country in a year or two so that's why I'm looking into laptops right now..though I too have found that less computer for more money is really the case with laptops. anyways, anyone else with some input would be appreciated

Back