fairly decent soundcard for recording mastering?

Jungling_Guy

Hi i'm not made of money but just want an ok soundcard to record from my mixer with. Currently im just using the nForce onboard 5.1 card which came with my nforce chipset motherboard...obviously not the greatest quality. Anyone have a suggestion? I don't want the BEST just a decent card for a decent price

cheers for any help :)

Check out Zzounds.com they have loads of soundcards. If you have a laptop and want something reel small then the Echo Inidgo is worth having a look at. 2 i/o with 24/96 recording.
Depends on what commections u want and how much your willing to pay. Terratec do cheap PCI cards with a lot of i/o that does 24/96... It shouldn't matter to much unless you want high quality Mic ins what you get at low prices. Just dont get creative labs or audigy cards....M Audio are worth a look

I believe that sound cards are another example of the myth that you must get the "best" and "most expensive" to get the best quality.

Here's the thing about sound cards. They digitize sound, which means that they convert every sound that comes into the computer (however the sound gets there) into '1's and '0's. As long as the soundcard works, it's turning everything into the same '1's and '0's. The only differences you might get in quality have to do with the bit depth and sample rate at which you're recording (20bit vs 16bit, or 44111khz vs. 56000khz, whatever). Perhaps there's a difference, there, but the bigger difference in sound cards is in how many inputs and outputs they might have, and whether they have digital ins and outs.

I would look for a reasonably priced soundcard with stereo ins and outs and perhaps a digital port, if you want to get fancy.

For a starting producer, I advise building a COMPLETE studio (not just one expensive piece of equipment) in which you can make every sound you need and digitally manipulate that sound, and get it into a fixed format like .mp3 or WAV or AIFF and onto a CD.

In this day and age, by the way, a complete studio can fit on one table. It doesn't have to be one of those ridiculous consoles that you see big name producers sitting in front of. A Honda will get you to the same place as a Lexis will.

Back