Thread: *** is everyone using high pitched samples in their work***

Thanks

*** is everyone using high pitched samples in their work***

Sign in to disable this ad
    hello everyone, i seem to hear more and more people using high pitched female samples, ex. "through the wire" by kayne west and more. what effects are the producers using to make such voices. also where and how do they get/record them. i appriciate all of the help and i love this site.

Thanks
    People have been doing it for ages. Kanye and Just blaze have just popularized it.

You can get that effect by timestretching and pitch shifting. So you can pitch it up by a certain number of notes to give it that chipmunk effect, but stretch or squash it to fit your BPM.

Thanks
    You can get that effect by timestretching and pitch shifting. So you can pitch it up by a certain number of notes to give it that chipmunk effect, but stretch or squash it to fit your BPM.

Depending on what sampler you are useing, you can also run the pitch control up on your turntable (if it`s a 33, put it on 45 ) or pitch controlled CD player or whatever and sample the part at the highest speed.

If you need it to go faster, you can record it at the fastest possible speed to another medium (cd or tape)
    and resample it that way until you get the desired sound you are looking for.

This is the old school way I learned how to do and doing it you may lose some sound quality, depending on what you are looking for, but it also teaches you a little about the engineering side of things.

I hope that this helps a little.

Thanks
    This effect is the 2004 equivalent of the 1980's Simmons Electronic Drumset high-pitched "Bvoooom" sound. (Just watch reruns of Kightrider or T.J. Hooker)

A fad ... nothing more.

Thanks
    A plug in that does both (pitch shifting and time compression or expansion)is called Pitch 'n Time by Serato, check it out if you feel so inclined.

Agreed that is a total fad

Thanks
    I kind of like the new style for a change. I'm getting pretty sick of the nothing-but-a-workstation sound.

Thread Information