Everyone always askin what are the basics of a Hip Hop Home Studio... so here

World Wide

This is what i use in my VERY basic home studio to make Hip Hop music

Making music to me is a pure hobby, i dont have much money to spend on it, nor would I if i had the money. I do, however, make pretty decent sounding music from this very basic set up:

-Nady StarPower Mic (forget which number i have) $20
-M-audio mobile Pre USB preamp/audio interface $150
-Basic home PC
-Basic headphones/PC speakers
-Basic CD-RW drive
-Reason 2.5 $400
-Fruity Loops Producer 4 $100
-M-Audio Oxygen 8 Midi Controller $150
-Cool Edit 2.0 $100
-Misc Stuff (Pop/Wind screen, Mic Stand, wires, etc.) $50-$60

Now i didnt buy all this stuff at once, but even if you did, it wouldnt be all that crazy... assuming you already have a home PC with basic speakers and a CD-RW in it it totals like $1000

and lets face it the most expensive things, the software, most of you are just gonna bootleg off the net anyway... so that cuts your costs more than in half.

I make beats with my Oxy 8 on Reason or FL, record with my mic and preamp into Cool Edit, and use Cool Edits basic stuff to mix/master, then burn it to a CD

works perfect

hope this helps somebody

I see nothing specifically "hiphop" about that setup.

What I do see is stuff that would allow you to make MUSIC..of any genre.

mistaox said:
I see nothing specifically "hiphop" about that setup.

What I do see is stuff that would allow you to make MUSIC..of any genre.

exactly.

im just sayin i use it to make hip hop and it works perfectly fine

-Basic headphones/PC speakers

That is in most cases not sufficient. Basic PC speakers usually suck. So does basic headphones. You'll need to spend some cash on that

And the mic... if u were really limited by budget you would do a hellva lot better to skimp on a piece of software rather than budget urself $20 for a mic.

Winterborn said:
And the mic... if u were really limited by budget you would do a hellva lot better to skimp on a piece of software rather than budget urself $20 for a mic.

at first I figured id start small and then work my way up

but if it aint broke, dont fix it

ive had no problems whatsoever with the mic... the quality is just fine for what im tryin to accomplish

and as for the dude who's talkin about my speakers/headphones i agree with you... thats prolly gonna be the next addition is either some higher end speakers or some monitors, but i gotta save some money up first

but its easy i just burn CDs, listen to it on as many different things as i can, then figure out what i need to change and repeat the process until it sounds good to me

so i'm not the only person that has to hear my stuff in a car to tell if my mix is right.

do speakers really make that much of a difference?

Al_Sween said:
so i'm not the only person that has to hear my stuff in a car to tell if my mix is right.

LOL!!! I definitely thought I was alone until a little while ago. Monitors are my next step. But those of you looking for a nice condenser mic for cheap, check out the Studio Projects B1. I paid about $80 for mine a year ago, but now they're pushing $100... still, a great bang for the buck. Read the reviews. I get good quality sound out of it and I'm not great at EQ and mixing. Check out the link here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1Mic/

What I have for a setup:

Mac G4, midi controller (Basic), Digital Performer and Reason 2.5 (With unlimited samples/sound)

Hello,

If your just doing music as a hobby with that set-up thats fine. And if its only a hobby, why are you looking to upgrade?

Just leave everything as-is.

secondly, the triton is not only the hip-hop synth, what about the Mo-Phatt?

sleepy said:
No trinton=no hip hop.

yeh, Triton is what I use most, but I don't exactly need it to make tracks.. (but it helps) .. haha

Peace

is it just me or does the mo phat suck? it was the only synth i used for about 6 months and i hated it.

I should have asked.. what you using the mic for? Recording your own vocals or just small stuff dubs harmony record e.t.c?

Ive found when your creating music for yourself, if your using your own vocals, the tendenacy is to get overboard in the mic before anything else.
The only 'pro' gear I have in our bands studio is one of the mics and the front end.. partially cos we are probably more consious about our voice than our skills.

Back