Everyone always askin what are the basics of a Hip Hop Home Studio... so here

you dont' need to know anything to create hip hop why do you think so many people do it? Most DJ's do not know music fundementals, but they know the gear inside and out and they can feel the music(hooks etc..) man this whole thread is stupid...outa here...

What are you talking about ?? speak for yourself!! you dont have to be classicly trained to understand how and what to use to make hiphop!!! If you cant read a note thats your biz LOL.Besides most of yall get all caugut up in what hiphop is suppossed to sound like(based on what your radio is playing) that you totally miss the point!! I like many others here can probablly make beats with 2 empty cans and a string.. If you dont like whats being said then bounce... However this is a forum to help not hurt people so I'LL let you live LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.. WHATHE HECK ARE YALL RAVING ABOUT?? "CLASSICALLY TRAINED, MUSICAL THEORY"????? IVE NEVER SAID YOU HAVE TO GO TO JULLIARDS TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE A BEAT.. HAHAHA I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT MUSIC THEORY IS. IS IT IN FACT THEORY, OR ITS JUST CALLED THAT, I DONT KNOW.. IVE NEVER TAKEN ANY LESSONS OR READ ANY BOOKS.. I DONT KNOW HOW TO READ MUSIC. BUT I DO KNOW WHAT A "c" IS. I KNOW DRE ISNT A PROFESSIONAL PIANIST AND NEITHER IS TIMB , BUT THEY KNOW WHAT A C MIMOR IS AND WHAT A "7" IS , BE REAL. THESE GUYS HAVE BEEN AROUND MUSIC AND STUDIOS FOR TOO LONG TO NOT KNOW THE BASICS.. THEY PROBABLY KNOW MORE THAN ME.. WHEN YOU ENTER THE WORLD OF MUSIC(THINGS WITH KEYS AND NOTES) YOU CANT HELP BUT TO LEARN AND PICK UP SOME THINGS BY YOURSELF ALONG THE WAY.. .. SO MY INFAMOUS QUOTE STILL STANDS UN-DEBUNKED ,BECAUSE THE PEOPLE YOU MENTIONED AS NOT "CLASSICALY TRAINED" THAT MAKE GOOD MUSIC STILL KNOW HOW TO PLAY SOME CHORDS . SOO " I VE NEVER HEARD A REALLY GOOD BEAT BY SOMEONE THAT DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE MUSICAL(THINGS WITH A KEY) ASPECT, AND I DONT THINK ITS A COINCIDENSE EITHER.." PEACE

hip hop is based around all kind of diffrent sounds.you dont have to know what a "c" is to know how to make a hip hop beat.hip hop beats is just basic orginized noise in a rythem formatt.you can beat on a keyboard for a few sceonds,loop it, and quantize it and come up with a hip hop beat.its all about how you put the track together to make it sound good.

if someone here is makin blazin' beats ,and you dont know what a "C" is .. feel free to prove me wrong and let me hear it .(beats made from scratch only please!)

hypersonic is alot better than the regular Tritons anyday...and if you know how to tweak and cop sample tank and a decent midi..all in FL

thats all u need for hip hop

I use

My pc
Real SPEAKERS connect to my receiver which is connected to my audigy
A midi man controller
and a sp 303 ready to take samples off a turntable..which is probally what im buying next

and i would only get a keyboard to enhance the look of my studio..and Motif es would own triton any day

i think the best idea with the whole 'better speakers' thing is to try it on several different speakers.. cause sometimes it sounds corny in bass but not treble, sometimes it sounds corny in treble but not bass.. so you could have the best speakers in the world but not many people have the best speakers in the world... rite?

Im new at this stuff so i prolly will sound like an idiot but what are these 2 things and what do they do? 1)M-audio mobile Pre USB preamp/audio interface and 2)M-Audio Oxygen 8 Midi Controller Thanks

Rick J said:
And I think this is all completely bullsh*t...
there is no such thing as hip hop studios... what do you think, that you can only get hip hop sound of the equipment...??

there may be some equipment which are better suited for hip hop than for electronic music... like the mpc maybe... but a triton or a motif or whatever is equipment for general use... no matter what music you do... electronic/hip hop/jazz/man even world music... or some ambient sounds... doesnt matter...
so forget this whole sh*t about hip hop studios...

cheers
rich

Completely agree with you Rick! What the hell is a Hip-Hop studio????. You all seem to forget that producing is not what or how much equipment you have, it's what you do with the equipment you have. Creativity and musical Talent is what makes good music. When you all get that through your heads we won't have these rediculous topics like "what's a hip-hop studio?" "What equipment does Kanye use so I can make beats like him?" etc... Become your own individuals and create the music that you wanna create. Peace!

Intelx

Actually Dre is a professional pianist shut the .... up piano-boy.

Fresh of da Boat said:
In my opinion, to make QUALITY hip-hop music, you need at least one workstation, either a FANTOM/ TRITON/ MOTIF

Like one dude said

No triton= no hip hop

:D
I use a 505 as a sound module. You just got to know how to work with what you have. The machine will not make the music for you. I've made some hot tihs on a Gemini DS-8 Sampler,a cheap yamaha PSR series Board, a cassette 4 track & a Boss DR550.

StrangeCat said:
you dont' need to know anything to create hip hop why do you think so many people do it? Most DJ's do not know music fundementals, but they know the gear inside and out and they can feel the music(hooks etc..) man this whole thread is stupid...outa here...
To create GOOD Hip Hop, you need to know some musical structure. To be a 1/2 decent DJ, you have to know phrasing & how to count!!!

Hey I'm new to this site (As of yesterday) and holy CRAP you guys argue a lot rofl. But I'll insert my 2 cents...

I've been singing all my life, I failed music theory in highschool, and I make beat after beat with great chord changes, I've done orchestrals, rap beats, pop beats... Just check my soundclick.

POINT: I play no instrument, can't play they keyboard, and a lot of my best beats were by using acid (i used drum, hi hat, snare in 3 channels for beats and piano roll for melodies, etc).

Timbaland was a DJ, he knows what good music is, he has crazy music taste, he didn't have to be a band class nerd to learn how to make a good song.

P.S. I think it's hilarious how everyone busts out Dre, Neptunes, and Timbaland to support your beliefs.

P.S.S. Welcome me :-D

You need a Kool Herc poster on the one wall, a Krs-One on the other, plus Tupac and Biggie pictures on the remaining two. A tape-recorder in the middle with a microphone and there you go: Hip-Hop studio

damn i had no idea this thread would get so out of control haha

i was just sayin this is what i use and it works nearly perfectly for what im trying to accomplish

i totally agree with the dude who said all you need is a mic and a tape recorder though

Huh, Triton...hip hop..? Listen hip hop is drum oriented, so you can make music with anything, Hip hop is usually made with the MPc 2000 and or the Sp 1200. Now i'm not gonna get all cave man and start with the traditional hip hop stuff, but those who came before us and changed the soundscape of hip hop(PeteRock,Premo,Large Professor,Alchemist,Havoc) These people do use other things but the base is a drum machine of some sort. The Sp gives you the 16 bit dirty drums. The MPC was made famous the Premo and Beatnuts. With all that being said I make beats with MPC 2000 but I am looking to add synth to my music, so get a keyboard or get a synth program like Reasons or get an ASr 10.But remember,the drum and the swing make it HIP HOp. www.crookestreetz.com

Back