Equipment for the begginers

7thAct

So yeah I'll need all the equipment suggestions (mic, midi, monitors, mpc, audio interface)... I wanna take voice lessons so I'll need also advice on how to isolate the room (so the neighbours don't hear me)...

Oh also... I've been looking Midi keyboards on Amazon, and I noticed that next to someone is writen Ableton or something... does that mean that Abelton is included or requred for midi? And i'd also like the Midi with the drum pads (if that's how they're called, i mean the square buttons lol)

I recommend that you should just stick to a nice production keyboard and your typical mouse and keyboard using a nice DAW like Ableton or FL studio. Most studio equipment is irrelevant unless you are working on a major project.

I'm bad with timing when puting notes in a piano roll.. and i wanna make something crazy so i want the equipment

I think you might get some more responses if you list a little more details. Like, what is your budget? What type of music are you making? What are your goals with that music? What are you using at the moment (what do you already have, software and/or hardware)? Is your mic just for vocals or do you want an all purpose mic? What style of singing and what range? It's a pretty complicated question and if you get 20 responses you might get 20 different answers. So knowing about what you need things for specifically can help.

I think you might get some more responses if you list a little more details. Like, what is your budget? What type of music are you making? What are your goals with that music? What are you using at the moment (what do you already have, software and/or hardware)? Is your mic just for vocals or do you want an all purpose mic? What style of singing and what range? It's a pretty complicated question and if you get 20 responses you might get 20 different answers. So knowing about what you need things for specifically can help.

What is your budget? I'm ready to invest in quality, I'll pay any price cause music is all i really like in the life lol, I don't really want something cheap that i might want to replace after a month or two, I want the quality doesen't matter the price, I'll collect money I don't have to buy all in one time
What type of music are you making? That really depend on my mood, I enjoy every genre, I like exploring, and idk.. but i guess mostly Hip - Hop dance... mash of everything idk

What are your goals with that music? To record something with good quality, something I would usualy listen, something on proffessional level perfectly mixed, mastered like the songs we usualy hear on the radio

What are you using at the moment (what do you already have, software and/or hardware)? Illegaly downloaded Fl Studio, cheap pair of Bose headphones, and laptop.... This is actually reason why i joined this forum, wrote this thread

Is your mic just for vocals or do you want an all purpose mic? I want it for vocals

What style of singing and what range? I don't really understand what does style of singing means, but i guess rap & pop? (sorry if i seem dumb) I'm planning to take voice lessons to learn all that and hopefully sing better, range measured by an android app f#2 lowest note - f#4 highest

You can find decent monitors and midi keyboards for under £100 each. That would be a good bet for starting out - it's unlikely you'll find them lacking until you know exactly what you want to achieve. Have a look on Amazon!

You need a soundcard - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2's do the job (I have one but need more I/o so upgrading ASAP)

You need monitors - if you have a massive room go 8" - regular room go 5" (or 7" if Yamaha)
Yamaha HS series, KRK Rokits, JBL LSR's are all decently price and offer good quality.

Keyboard/controllers - I've got a Novation Impulse. I like it. But I don't use a lot of the features on it to be honest... I have a Presonus Faderport and Maschine (MKII) as well.
I might flog it and get another synth that can double up on midi-key duties... Maybe a Nord Lead... I dunno.
Maschine is currently the hub of my setup (although I'm seriously considering ditching my computer and Maschine for a Pioneer SP-16 when it comes out... Waiting for release and reviews!) and I couldn't live without pads and the ability to quickly sample and chop.

Of the entry level to mid-range mics I've used... And I've used a few... The SE2200mkii I have now is my favourite. I've used Rode NT-1's & NT-2's and the NT-2 is much better. Oktava 219 is nice (if a little dark) and the 319 is supposed to be very good (never had my hands on it tho).

More than anything though... Get some legit software.

Back